The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

A week from today we are having our end of the year BBQ which doubles as my wife's bday party.

Ran to Costco and bought a 18 pound pork belly for the smoker. Prep will start in a few days. This is going to be good!

Ahhhh, when I say garden fresh, I mean the little area we have in our side and backyard. Speaking of which, I should get a new pick of the giant tomatoes for everyone in the What's growing? thread. Too dark right now though.

I liked the Hatfield Texas Smokehouse BBQ Pork Loin so much I bought another one. I took a couple pics this time around. As an accompaniment I roasted some mini peppers in the grill basket using just olive oil and made some pearled cous cous out of the box. It's the Near East Basil and Herb. I adulterated it with some butter, chicken bouillon, and added some minced garlic in there. I liked how it came out. And that pork loin is something I'll be buying a lot more of.

IMG_1203.jpeg

IMG_1204.jpeg

Alright well the verdict is in and I will say it's okay. Compared to a highly processed fast food burger this actually has more flavor.

The big concerning thing to me is this is highly processed by looking at the ingredients... Is it really healthier than a McDonald's big Mac? I don't know. Here look a the ingredients
IMG_20190821_171812816.jpg

Compared to the burgers I buy from the local farmer when I buy my half a beef to get us through the year there is no comparison.

Texture wise it's actually pretty darn similar
IMG_20190821_171950296.jpg

Now if I was going to go for a non meat burger I think I'd pick a black bean burger from trader Joe's. Those are pretty darn good

Here's the nutritional info on the veggie burger I like. It doesn't try to mimic beef, but tastes like saheena and I prefer it over beef burgers.
1566431311617.png

Interesting. I've been hearing a lot about these and have been tempted to try them. When I saw the nutritional information I decided to check it against something we all know, but may not love.....a McDonald's hamburger.

So, the McD's has 250 total calories, 8 grams of total fat, 3 grams of saturated fat, 30 mgs of cholesterol and 480 mgs of sodium.

So, similar number of calories, much more fat and saturated fat, none of the cholesterol and less sodium. I guess you have to decide if the tradeoff between fat and cholesterol/sodium is worth it.

I also checked out the Trader Joe's Black Bean burger patties just for the fun of it.

180 calories, 8 grams of fat, 1 g of saturated fat, no cholesterol, 280 mgs of sodium.

If I have to choose between the three of these I'm going to have to give those Trader Joe's Black Bean patties a try.

Back