The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

When you visit Pennsylvania you have to have some Scrapple. I know most people have to eat it with maple syrup or molasses, but I like it straight up like it is. Salty with that strong iron flavor that only offal can give you...mmm, mmm, mmm...delicious!

1565613820419.png

When you visit Pennsylvania you have to have some Scrapple.

Don, be careful.......first it's scrapple then you graduate to headcheese. :LOL: I used to slice a fair amount of headcheese and the slicer would make all sorts of strange noises zipping through the various pieces of pig parts they through into that mix.

Don, be careful.......first it's scrapple then you graduate to headcheese. :LOL: I used to slice a fair amount of headcheese and the slicer would make all sorts of strange noises zipping through the various pieces of pig parts they through into that mix.

No problem there...I have been eating Head Cheese for quite some time now!

Take one cheap frozen pizza
add:
- sliced garden fresh heirloom tomato (one Cherokee was more than enough)
- grate some strong cheddar (not the typical big orange block stuff, get something good!)
- coarsely chop some bacon
- chop some garden fresh basil and oregano
- add some hot sauce of your choice (Bomba sauce works better than normal hot sauce for spicing pizza)

Throw it on the BBQ at 375-400F on some foil for 15-20 mins

Enjoy!

1565909031927.png

Take one cheap frozen pizza
add:
- sliced garden fresh heirloom tomato (one Cherokee was more than enough)
- grate some strong cheddar (not the typical big orange block stuff, get something good!)
- coarsely chop some bacon
- chop some garden fresh basil and oregano
- add some hot sauce of your choice (Bomba sauce works better than normal hot sauce for spicing pizza)

Throw it on the BBQ at 375-400F on some foil for 15-20 mins

Enjoy!

View attachment 7514
Sounds like what my mom does........why not get a good crust and do the whole thing? Sounds delicious though

We were unhealthy tonight. Megan started back to work this week as she's a school teacher. We forgot to set anything out. So Wendy's it was. The new Jalapeno burger was delicious though

Sounds like what my mom does........why not get a good crust and do the whole thing? Sounds delicious though
The BBQ makes the crust nice and crispy crunchy, so even a cheapie dough tastes great with the right toppings. Sometimes we use pita bread or naan as the dough as well.

My Dad used to do something similar. He would take a can of Progresso Minestrone soup and add pieces of cut up hot dog. That was his approach at gourmet cooking. My mother is only moderately better than my father was. She would make chicken parmigiana and would use whole chicken breasts. No slicing them thinner or pounding them down with a tenderizer. She'd just stick them in a pan, top with some spaghetti sauce and some sliced mozzarella cheese and bake. You ended up with a slab of chicken that was tough as nails. It's a wonder I even survived my childhood.

My Dad used to do something similar. He would take a can of Progresso Minestrone soup and add pieces of cut up hot dog. That was his approach at gourmet cooking. My mother is only moderately better than my father was. She would make chicken parmigiana and would use whole chicken breasts. No slicing them thinner or pounding them down with a tenderizer. She'd just stick them in a pan, top with some spaghetti sauce and some sliced mozzarella cheese and bake. You ended up with a slab of chicken that was tough as nails. It's a wonder I even survived my childhood.

I have actually done this from time to time. Mine don't turn out too bad. But I certainly wouldn't call it one of my better dishes. I find that if you do the same with chicken tenders, it turns out a little better.

I have actually done this from time to time. Mine don't turn out too bad. But I certainly wouldn't call it one of my better dishes. I find that if you do the same with chicken tenders, it turns out a little better.

I've been cooking more and more lately. But I also worked in restaurants for about a decade when I was younger and I learned by watching the chef in his kitchen. Cooking is pretty much 75% or more about the prep. Preparation is everything. I haven't made chicken parmigiana myself but I would absolutely cut the breasts in half to reduce the thickness. I'd then pound them really good to tenderize them. Eliminates grizzle. I'd also bread the cutlets and sauté them before putting them in the pan and adding sauce and cheese for the final baking. There won't be any comparison between mine and my mother's. The irony is that it's my mother who turned me onto really fine restaurants when I was growing up. We always went to one of the best restaurants on Long Island for birthdays. That spoiled me. And it turned me onto cooking. I actually enjoy it. My mother has said a number of times that she doesn't enjoy cooking. Yet she will go on and on and on ad nauseam about this restaurant and that restaurant. And the irony is she still can't cook. And when I ask what makes any restaurant she raves about so great, all she says is it was just so good and the menu was interesting. All descriptions that provide zero information from which to have some sort of conversation about it. Yeah. I know. I have mother issues. But then, most of my conversations with her are devoid of any real information or feedback. It's not because of her age. She's always been this way. I guess now I just have less patience for meaningless diatribe. I should probably see a shrink about this stuff but then I don't want to waste my money on talking about my mother. Hurumph.

I've been cooking more and more lately. But I also worked in restaurants for about a decade when I was younger and I learned by watching the chef in his kitchen. Cooking is pretty much 75% or more about the prep. Preparation is everything. I haven't made chicken parmigiana myself but I would absolutely cut the breasts in half to reduce the thickness. I'd then pound them really good to tenderize them. Eliminates grizzle. I'd also bread the cutlets and sauté them before putting them in the pan and adding sauce and cheese for the final baking. There won't be any comparison between mine and my mother's. The irony is that it's my mother who turned me onto really fine restaurants when I was growing up. We always went to one of the best restaurants on Long Island for birthdays. That spoiled me. And it turned me onto cooking. I actually enjoy it. My mother has said a number of times that she doesn't enjoy cooking. Yet she will go on and on and on ad nauseam about this restaurant and that restaurant. And the irony is she still can't cook. And when I ask what makes any restaurant she raves about so great, all she says is it was just so good and the menu was interesting. All descriptions that provide zero information from which to have some sort of conversation about it. Yeah. I know. I have mother issues. But then, most of my conversations with her are devoid of any real information or feedback. It's not because of her age. She's always been this way. I guess now I just have less patience for meaningless diatribe. I should probably see a shrink about this stuff but then I don't want to waste my money on talking about my mother. Hurumph.
I disagree with this post (jokingly). Cooking is 80% cleanup! Guess who gets to do this in my house! :(

I grew up on boxed meals and the occasional nice* restaurant as well. The main exception being dinner at my grandparents. My grandma was a fantastic cook and loved making things from scratch. When we were there for beg family gatherings the kids were always encouraged to help out in the kitchen and that is what got me started with cooking. Never really went anywhere with it until a few years ago when i decided to try to start making better meals and also to get some cast iron to use. That really got me going on cooking and while we often hit the easy button more often than i would like due to time and energy I love cooking for people when we are going to have company and of course that means i have to plan on testing recipes out when i won't be serving guests so that helps. Even on easy button meals we have been trying to do better stuff that is more like throwing something in the slowcooker instead of the boxed stuff.

Back