The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

View attachment 5095View attachment 5096

Harry D Wilson's hash

My first time making this dish. Also was the first time making a roux, or tasting it. As you can see it's a dark roux.

While I'm glad to have made this recipe. I'm not sure I'm fan of the dark roux flavor profile. After trying a bite. I did a search to find out what the flavor profile of a dark roux is supposed to taste like? I found out it's similar to camp fire coffee. I'd say that is the closest description I can give as well.

Not sure I can really tell by your dish or not (by the way it looks delicious...never heard of the dish...but looks like it is up my alley). Your roux might be burnt. But like I said...It's hard to tell exactly. If the Roux is burnt it will taste like strong over cooked coffee. But like I said...it looks delicious! Roux is one of the hardest things you can make. It takes a lot of effort and patience. And if Roux is one of the hardest things to make...then a dark Roux is even harder! That's because there is a very fine line between dark Roux and burnt Roux. Personally...I love my Gumbo made with a dark Roux!

@CBLindsay that smoker is a beast! But man...it looks like that thing makes smoking a whole lot easier than tending a fire! Food looks awesome man!

@CBLindsay that smoker is a beast! But man...it looks like that thing makes smoking a whole lot easier than tending a fire! Food looks awesome man!
It really does make it easy, pretty much a flip the switch and go. The trouble comes when you have to clean up. Clean up isn’t hard but it doesn’t clean itself. This one is from Costco and is quite large, Lowe’s has a different brand that is a size smaller that looks like it operates the same way. The price difference is pretty substantial so it’s worth a try.

Back