The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What is New to You...... SPEAKEASY EDITION

Thoughts on Highland Park?
Very nice stuff. Which one are you looking at Dave? I have Valfather which is the peatiest expression. Tasty it is and no where as peaty as many of the Islay. Highland Park 12 is a great value. But Dave you have been diving around in Islay waters for awhile Highland Park is not that. Different but not a Speyside...etc.

Very nice stuff. Which one are you looking at Dave? I have Valfather which is the peatiest expression. Tasty it is and no where as peaty as many of the Islay. Highland Park 12 is a great value. But Dave you have been diving around in Islay waters for awhile Highland Park is not that. Different but not a Speyside...etc.
Hey Ed, would you recommend it as good entry point into smoky scotch? I tried Peat Monster and while I enjoyed it, it way too much smoke for me.

Hey Ed, would you recommend it as good entry point into smoky scotch? I tried Peat Monster and while I enjoyed it, it way too much smoke for me.
Highland Park 12 has a touch of smoke enough to make it tasty. Valfather more so but still not in the ball park of most Islay. The least offensive of the Islay lot would be a Bowmore 12 (though don’t spend money on it) or if you can find it Bowmore 15 Darkest which is a proper ABV and tasty enough without drowning you in peat and smoke ala Peat Monster or Smokehead. I love Islay but you need to work up to it. If you get a Higland Park taster pack of 10, 12 etc you will enjoy the touch of smoke. @DeepSea if you can find a bottle of Valfather it would be a good one for sure.

Yes, my home lay with the peat, but I need to explore more. As you see with the rye and bourbon. I would just start with the 12. I’m still trying to get a good variety around the $50-75 range before I start in on the higher priced expressions.

Highland Park 12 has a touch of smoke enough to make it tasty. Valfather more so but still not in the ball park of most Islay. The least offensive of the Islay lot would be a Bowmore 12 (though don’t spend money on it) or if you can find it Bowmore 15 Darkest which is a proper ABV and tasty enough without drowning you in peat and smoke ala Peat Monster or Smokehead. I love Islay but you need to work up to it. If you get a Higland Park taster pack of 10, 12 etc you will enjoy the touch of smoke. @DeepSea if you can find a bottle of Valfather it would be a good one for sure.
Thanks Ed! I’ll be keeping my eyes peeled for the taster pack and Valfather. My bottle of Balvene Double Wood 12 isn’t going to last too much longer. 🥃

JW Green
e2da36a2d43f057f148a2b20c7b1c7de.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back