The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

ierre Guillaume - Intrigant Patchouli
For me, this is a perfect patchouli, and my favorite of the ones I have. One thing I always see people complain about, or praise, is how much of a headshop or hippie vibe they get from a patchouli. TBH, I don't get that, in fact none of mine give me that feeling. Rather they tend to feel from a far earlier, less libertine time. Maybe my memory of the patchoulis I smelt as a youth is off, but I've yet to smell a modern one that gives me that headshop vibe, and I bought plenty of the stuff back in the day.
Anyway, this manages to perfectly balance a lovely mustyness my favorite patchoulis have, with just enough green, amber, and aromatic aspects. It's more of an homage than a dusty timeworn fragrance of the past. The marketing blurb says it's a "complex elixir inspired by the chypres of the 40's" so maybe I'm reading something right for a change. Anyway, fabulous juice for me.

Pierre Guillaume Intrigant Patchouli.jpg

Last edited:
Pierre Guillaume - Papyrus de Ciane
It took few wearings for this to click with me, or maybe it was just the change of season, but this is such a great wearable green. Aptly named, there is that touch of powder that I associate with papyrus, but this is a dry yellowed paper, rather the fresh stuff growing on the river bank. Perfect when you want a bit of light to cut through the winter darkness, nothing heavy here at all, but it still manages to penetrate the heavy air. Another great one!

Pierre Guillaume Papyrus de Ciane.jpg

Pierre Guillaume - Habanera
With this it's official, I'm all in on Pierre Guillaume.
It's one I need to live with for a bit to be able to give a decent review. It seems to live on many levels. Notes listed are Saffron, Candied Rose, Cuban Tobacco, Mexican Copal Resin, Benzoin, Leather. You'd expect something heavy, but it's not at all, it's airy, and perfumy in a good way. Up close I can get the ingredients, but in the air it's a watery green with rose. Really lovely.
It's also giving me that weird experience of remembering something from the distant past you sometimes get with perfumes.

Pierre Guillaume Habanera.jpg

Back