The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

AM: Lancome Trophée (mini)
The definitive 80's chypre/fougere opens similarly to Eau Sauvage, then dries down to a moss soaked soapy green fougere. Reminds me of Patrick of Ireland, but lighter and without the weird peat note in the mid.
Great stuff, a real blast from my past vibe, but done just a bit better.

IMG_0899.jpeg

PM: Lorenzo Villoresi - Spezie
What a great way to follow up the short lived Trophée, just a superb Spicy masculine, Lorenzo does it again! He's got a way of making heavy spices feel light, but not artificial. As one reviewer on Fragrantica said, forget Spice Bomb and HdP 1899, this is the cinnamon spice lovers dream. Having 1899, I'll say it, it doesn't come close to this for elegant masculinity.
I guess I need need to put the house of Lorenzo Villoresi on speed dial, I can't resist most of them.

Last edited:
Lorenzo Villoresi - Piper Nigrum
Another spice masterpiece, this one featuring black pepper. Opens with a black pepper and mint, the black pepper stays around for the duration, and has a wonderful woodiness to it. Somewhat like the smell of an old empty pepper mill. At the same time there's a sort of wild undergrowth that comes in. It reminds me of being in cabin in the chaparral in the Santa Barbara back country. There's also myrrh and other resins, and overall get a similar vibe to being back home on a mediation retreat. Something that frankly my jangled nerves could use. A real balm for the soul, maybe not every soul, but this one.

Double dip this morning with both a/s splash & edt. Nothing special yet, it gives a nice clean semi barbershop vibe. A bit nostalgic but, by no means outdated. Still quite modern & contemporary. Does not cater to the syrupy sweet concoction chasers of today. Bonus is it's cheap as chips at many discount retailers. Chase the versions with Antonio Puig etched at the bottom of the front bottles. They have a cleaner & more robust scent drydown especially with the Cedar, Amber & Patchouli. Think of it as a sport & youthful version of the OG Quorum with less emphasis on Lavender, Moss & Geranium. Instead it opens with a Ginger, Lavender, Bergamot and other citrus accords that lead into a nice spicy freshness of Nutmeg, Pepper and Cinnamon. Then those base notes come in as mentioned earlier to round it off nicely. If on a budget it's a great everyday wear that one can go ape nuts on the trigger without offending anyone. The after shave splash is actually quite good in giving a nice short lived bracing effect while calming & toning the skin after a fresh shave.

IMG_20230408_063258581_HDR.jpg

Back