The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Deets please!!
Would like to look at my notes at home but off the top of my memory, Peppermint backed by Vanilla, tea tree, and Sandalwood. A surprisingly fresh scent which reminds me of a Christmas Candy Cane with a subtle air of distinctiveness. And personally, it can be Christmas year round!
🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅🎅

Profumum Roma - Acqua Viva
After my positive experience with Lemon Line, I thought I'd dig out my sample of Aqua Viva. For sure they are peas in a pod, with Eau d'Hadrian being a clear inspiration.
I do have to take my earlier words back, this is better, more natural, and the lemon seems to last forever when I applied it to my chest, 7 hours later I still smell it as lemon, plus the cedar and broom base.
But it's also considerably more expensive than the Mancera, for most people, I'd say not worth it unless you really love lemon and are willing to pay for the gold standard.
Of course if you hate citrus, and I know plenty of people do, you don't to even look at any of the frags mentioned. But if you do here's my current ranking of my top 3+1

1) Profumum Roma - Acqua Viva
Natural, long lasting, smells great in every phase. The gold standard.

2) Perris Monte Carlo - Ceadro di Diamante
Super natural, sugary lemon, like lemonade. The opening the the best of the bunch, but it doesn't last long

3) Mancera - Lemon Line
Lemon Drop lemon, great opening, but the lemon doesn't last as long before a similar musky cedar dry down.

4) Goutal Eau d'Hadrian
Natural, base comes in quick, and doesn't last long. But props to being the original.

There's not miles between them, especially in the dry down, in fact even something like Aqua di Gio isn't so far off in the dry down. I'd steer most people towards the Mancera tbh, just due to availability and value proposition.

Last edited:
Bottled ice!

Very good comparison. I still get this watery like lavender that is light and airy. A nice clean musk with a smoothness that is unlike other designer fragrances. Perhaps the ambergris in this might have something to do with that smooth yet fresh creaminess that L'Eau projects. Why I didn't try it any sooner is a mystery to me. A summery and gentlemanly scent that deserves more notice from the fragrance community.

Very good comparison. I still get this watery like lavender that is light and airy. A nice clean musk with a smoothness that is unlike other designer fragrances. Perhaps the ambergris in this might have something to do with that smooth yet fresh creaminess that L'Eau projects. Why I didn't try it any sooner is a mystery to me. A summery and gentlemanly scent that deserves more notice from the fragrance community.
Yeah, it's an underrated gem. Not sure which I prefer it or the OG, but I wear l'Eau the most of the series, it's so good for summer.
The Sport flanker is also great, similar to l'Eau but if you like the ambergris in l'Eau, it's even more prevalent in Sport.

AM: Mancera - Lemon Line
Just making a final comparison after draining my sample of Aqua Viva yesterday. I guess I'm going to pony up for Aqua Viva....

PM: Lorenzo Villoresi - Piper Nigrum
Oh, another magic journey with Lorenzo! How can he make paper smell like this I don't know, but this is so transportive for me, takes me to brush covered mountains, so naturalistic. Where Villoresi's genius lies is making such a transportive smell also smell like a cohesive fragrance, and not just an environment. Top drawer stuff!

Back