The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Etat Libre d'Orange - Tom of Finland
Yesterday I compared this with Saharian Wind since they had some similarities, but back to back there's plenty of difference. The ELdO does what they do so well, a retro vibe, with wonderful aldehydes. It's a leather, but also has a phase where it's a minty tobacco, another where it's a herbal green suntan lotion, then the sebaceous aldehydes come back over a layer of woodiness. I didn't expect to like this, but it's really quickly grown on me.
The Mancera, keeps the leather throughout and has that almost hyper-modern feel. Worn alone I didn't get the name, but after spending the day with Tom, and the evening with Wind, I totally get the name, just imagine a very chic sheik in his deluxe tent in the dessert.
I find both very wearable, and though not the most powerful leathers in my repertoire, I still wouldn't recommend them as blind buys, unless you're already a leather lover.
A couple of winners!

Le Galion - Whip
Chypres really start to call me during as spring comes on.
Whip opens with a bright, thick lemon. And then is followed up by oak moss by the boatload.
A real favorite of mine.

Before putting on Whip, I tested Lorenzo Villoresi - Lavender.
You guys know my love for LV, but this didn't appeal to me at all today. Very much the archetypical lavender sachet smell. I just had to scrub, too far from what I wanted today. A couple of years back, I'd have been all over it, but today it just felt too straight. I've yet to find a lavender of this type that beats Caron's classic.

Le Galion Whip.jpeg

Le Galion - Vetyver
Le Galion seems to have my number this week! Oh, such a grassy, dewy vetiver here. The opening is to die for, though it only lasts a matter of seconds. What's left is soil ( a bit of a dustiness) and damp air. As if walking on the grass on a foggy morning, the fog is clearing but the smell is in the air.
Lovely! This really changed my understanding of what vetiver could be, and took me quite a while to wrap my head around because of it. But now, it's my style of vetiver of choice. :)

Le Galion Vetyver2.jpeg

Back