The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Oriza L. Legrand - Chypre Mousse

From reviews, I expected the smell of a freshly opened crypt on a foggy night in a moss covered forest. People talk about a mushroom note, I think they have vivid imaginations, it was a very old school chypre, almost like a photo Shalimar vibe to it for me. Very long lasting and it does, like all chypres should, end up with a wonderful moss.
I liked it, didn't love it on me, but would really love the Mrs. to try it. Still glad I tried it, and happy to have the sample. Horizon and this shared a lot of DNA, but on my skin, Horizon worked better, a top patchouli for me. Though this seems like the type of fragrance that one could warm up to and suddenly not be able to live without.

IMG_0650.jpeg

Amber, Anise, Musk, Vanilla & Woods. Say your walking in the early hours of a crisp autumn morning where there was a light rainfall during the night to give one that slight moist, dewey wet leaf with an abundance of Oak Bark moisture scent in the air. In your hands you have a small jar of Anise sprinkled with toasted Vanilla Bean as you bring it in close to the nose during your morning walk in the woods.

That's Lempicka Homme in a nutshell.

LOLITALEMPICKA_LEMPICKAHOMME.jpg

Oriza L. Legrand sampling continues...
Yesterday: Reve d'Ossian
Lovely amber with a church incense opening. Amber is a tough one for me, in principle I love it, but most I've tried are too sweet, and just start to annoy me after an hour or so. Not this, its dry, and once the incense fades, a reference type amber is what's left, and it's lovely. this would be the amber for me of what I've tried.

Today: Gentry Jockey Club
Opening is a sharp IBQ leather, with violet (notes say rose, but it's violet IMO) vetiver starts to pop in along with a vanillic amber, now I'm getting an ambergris leather with what seems like a touch of iris, which is like a softer version of a favorite of mine Le Galion Cuir. Going to try this a few more times, it's interesting and I'm enjoying the ride, though it's sharing a lot of similarities with Le Galion Cuir, this is probably an easier wear, though not as dramatic.

Last edited:
Oriza L. Legrand - Vetiver Royal Bourbon

The last of the samples, obviously a vetiver, but another that has a lot of evolution, making it a very nice and long lasting wear.
Opens with a moist dewy vetiver, it's say there's mint and thyme, but overall I just get that dewy vetiver effect I love. It's more 'perfume' than say Perris Monte Carlo Vetiver Java out of the gat though.
There's a classic masculinity that comes out, as spices are introduced, and what is listed as immortelle, giving a subtle hay/tobacco effect. In this stage I'd say all you lovers of Gurelain Vetiver would love this, and its worth putting on the radar for sure.
As it drys down, labdanum comes in and there's that iris/amber that seems to be a running theme throughout the brand.
Another super fragrance, and I'm sure I'll get one or two from the house. The amber is just textbook for me, and something I've been looking for. It almost feels like it comes down to what opening and mid do I like best. Thankfully the samples are generous, so I can take my time and test, but I'll say these have all been perfect scents for the cooler season.
Not sure how availability there is, but the sample set it totally worth a punt, and if you do like one, just let me know as this is one that can be found cheaper if you know where to look.

I really think a lot of cadre-ers would love this one (not Mark though, no not Mark!), and it's even making me turn on this style of vetiver.

Back