The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

The quintessential proper gentleman's fragrance. Class, elegance & sophistication. Only Creed's Original Vetiver (to my nose) is equally comparable if not surpassing Guerlain's version. The Licorice in this is just amazingly well blended. A Vetiver lover's dream, period.

View attachment 96471
Interesting, I'm on an oddball here, that didn't like the original so much, too much of a tweed smoking jacket vibe for me, but that's just me.
How does this compare?

Interesting, I'm on an oddball here, that didn't like the original so much, too much of a tweed smoking jacket vibe for me, but that's just me.
How does this compare?
I'm with you on COV. And it may be heretical but I really haven't found a vetiver scent that has floored me. 😶

A masterfully done floral fragrance for men by one of the best fragrance creators today, Francis Kurkdjian. This fragrance borders niche and designer perfumery like very few others have ever accomplished. It's an aromatic fougere that encompass 4 notes; Neroli, Petitgrain, Chamomile & Basil. I also get a slight aura from the Le Male DNA with a slight tinge of vanilla & mint yet no lavender. Fleeting but, discernible to my nose. I still think the early release '95 or '96 of the original Le Male was the best ever creation from JPG with its barbershop type scent profile and the gorgeous mint, vanilla and lavender signature. But, this is right there as a creation and goes even further on the daring side of floral creations for men. I don't wear this very often as I see it as a mood or specific mindset fragrance. Cool breezy days that are overcast and sort of that melancholy vibe that one fetches from time to time. Potent, long lasting and not for everyone. Daring and provocative as one wears it. Herbaceous, slightly dirty or animalic in feel with almost a darkened tea vibe kissed with a sweetened honey like accord. Brilliantly done and awesome longevity on my skin.

You like daring, this must be sampled if one can find it.

View attachment 96316
Even the bust is a more artistic!
How does this compare to Narcisso Rodrigez for Him EdT? Both composed by the FK, and seem to fit the same mood.
Anyway sounds lovely, and never would have been on my radar, great review as always.

I'm with you on COV. And it may be heretical but I really haven't found a vetiver scent that has floored me. 😶
Ah, thankfully I have found a couple, but a totally different feel of vetiver that I didn't know existed till I found it.
IF you see a sample of Perris Monte Carlo Vetiver Java, give it a try, it blew me away anyway, and got me back into vetiver.

Yesterday:
Parle Moi de Parfum - Woody Perfecto
The name can trow you off, I hear perfecto and think cigars, but here it's a reference to a black biker's jacket, like Marlon Brando would have worn back in the day. It's a vetiver coffee, but it doesn't take much imagination to picture yourself in a perfecto, with an oily wrench in hand.
Lovely stuff, with great performance, really the only knock I have is I wish it changed a little from start to finish, but I had a great time wearing it yesterday.

Why is the perfecto woody? I think that's because in perfumery, vetiver is considered a woody note, so it makes perfect sense.

Today:
New sample set arrived from Oriza L. Legrand, today testing Horizon (Hey that's what the H stands for in my moniker!)
A patchouli bomb, very similar to Nobile 1942 Patchouli, but tbh I like this better, as it's just a bit dirtier and feels more a pure masculine.
Perfect fit for this grey, drizzley Helsinki day. Could see myself getting at some point.

Last edited:
How does this compare?

The original or vintage is a bit more "dated" & has that sort of "dusty" tinge to it at the opening. It smooths out eventually towards the mid and drydown but, there's a note in it that I believe is the civet that gives it a bit of rancidity to the composition. Extreme has none of that and has more of a contemporary/modern build. Licorice is blended here beautifully along with the Vetiver. There is some nutmeg mixed in seamlessly with the citrus notes up top. The drydown with the smokiness from the Tarragon combined with the Cedar & Tonka Bean gives a real smooth, deep yet clean finish. Definitely the more modern version while paying tribute to the Original in maintaining some of its DNA of the grassy & rooty Vetiver.

Even the bust is a more artistic!
How does this compare to Narcisso Rodrigez for Him EdT? Both composed by the FK, and seem to fit the same mood.
Anyway sounds lovely, and never would have been on my radar, great review as always.

Same vibe but, they both go down their own different paths. Narciso for Him is more cleaner with the musks as the primary weapon of choice adjoined by an awesome amber, patchouli & violet leaf notes. I also get a pepper like accord in it right at the opening. For Him is one of the best musk based fragrances that I've ever experienced even more so than the all musk composition of Musc for Him by the same house. Fleur Du Male has none of that yet, that darkened black tea vibe sweetened just right with the florals is equally as impressive. Both are awesome rainy day fragrances that just do it right. To my nose at least.

I love Imaginary Authors!
Me too! This one and A City On Fire are my favorites, though Cape Heartache is up there as well. No idea how he managed to make a strawberry note work amidst everything else that is going on in that one, but it’s a brilliant composition.

Me too! This one and A City On Fire are my favorites, though Cape Heartache is up there as well. No idea how he managed to make a strawberry note work amidst everything else that is going on in that one, but it’s a brilliant composition.
I think City on Fire is right up @NurseDave ’s alley, I love Saint Julep myself

Yesterday:
Parle Moi de Parfum - Woody Perfecto
The name can trow you off, I hear perfecto and think cigars, but here it's a reference to a black biker's jacket, like Marlon Brando would have worn back in the day. It's a vetiver coffee, but it doesn't take much imagination to picture yourself in a perfecto, with an oily wrench in hand.
Lovely stuff, with great performance, really the only knock I have is I wish it changed a little from start to finish, but I had a great time wearing it yesterday.

Why is the perfecto woody? I think that's because in perfumery, vetiver is considered a woody note, so it makes perfect sense.

Today:
New sample set arrived from Oriza L. Legrand, today testing Horizon (Hey that's what the H stands for in my moniker!)
A patchouli bomb, very similar to Nobile 1942 Patchouli, but tbh I like this better, as it's just a bit dirtier and feels more a pure masculine.
Perfect fit for this grey, drizzley Helsinki day. Could see myself getting at some point.
Have you ever tried Knize Ten?

Back