The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Must be good with that color :)
Think Guerlain Homme or Boise with a slight sour note (like a sour mix for a drink) & bright mint, almost like a Mojito with the characteristic Guerllinade infusion. Gentlemanly and classic yet not stale or old smelling. Just a delicious rum like concoction that I’m tempted to just drink from the bottle itself.

Evening seaside relaxation at a seafood eatery that is somewhat upscale with a mojito in hand, Captain’s Platter in front and one looking at the waves roll in by the beach just 50 yards away. That’s what this juice takes me too.:love:

Tried a couple of samples today.

AM:
Perris Monte Carlo - Bergamotto di Calibria
As always with PMC a beautiful, natural smelling cologne with no rough edges. A very classic 4711 style cologne, but done with exceptional quality, and adding a little twist of a heaping dose of sandalwood in the mid. Dry down is pure classic masculine cologne, very good stuff. If I didn't have a couple of colognes already, this would be one I'd get. Might happen later anyway, love that they have a 50 ml option.

PM:
Le Galion - Eau Noble 2022
It's a bit confusing, but Le Galion is re-releasing this fragrance, while the old version seems to still be in stock. They also made a new bottle for it, that harkens back to the OG Le Galion bottles of yesteryear.
The old version, which I love, is a classic citrus chypre in the style of Eau Sauvage. However the 2022 version is a very different, beast. Opening is sour rhubarb, and as it drys down goes to the modern classic woody type thing. I actually don't have any of this style woody fragrances, and the opening is a nice twist on the theme for me, so I recon this will be on my Christmas wish list.

Oh man! Cole is looking into doubling his cologne usage…and therefore his purchasing as well! 😎👍

Tried a couple of samples today.

AM:
Perris Monte Carlo - Bergamotto di Calibria
As always with PMC a beautiful, natural smelling cologne with no rough edges. A very classic 4711 style cologne, but done with exceptional quality, and adding a little twist of a heaping dose of sandalwood in the mid. Dry down is pure classic masculine cologne, very good stuff. If I didn't have a couple of colognes already, this would be one I'd get. Might happen later anyway, love that they have a 50 ml option.

PM:
Le Galion - Eau Noble 2022
It's a bit confusing, but Le Galion is re-releasing this fragrance, while the old version seems to still be in stock. They also made a new bottle for it, that harkens back to the OG Le Galion bottles of yesteryear.
The old version, which I love, is a classic citrus chypre in the style of Eau Sauvage. However the 2022 version is a very different, beast. Opening is sour rhubarb, and as it drys down goes to the modern classic woody type thing. I actually don't have any of this style woody fragrances, and the opening is a nice twist on the theme for me, so I recon this will be on my Christmas wish list.

Might bite the bullet and dive in feet first with these two offerings. Blind buy but, by your description and from what I see and read in fragrance forums, it's in my wheelhouse for smooth and clean smelling cologne with a masculine edge. And one can never go wrong with 4711 & Dior Eau Sauvage similarities.

Might bite the bullet and dive in feet first with these two offerings. Blind buy but, by your description and from what I see and read in fragrance forums, it's in my wheelhouse for smooth and clean smelling cologne with a masculine edge. And one can never go wrong with 4711 & Dior Eau Sauvage similarities.
I've been really impressed with Perris Monte Carlo, and the price point is very good considering the quality. Not sure how availability is there, but tbh I'd call it a safe blind buy for you. Some reviewers seemed to think it went old lady, but I guess for some people the slightest amount of floral makes them question their identity.
Since it was just my first wear, I'll sample it again soon and post.

The original Le Galion Eau Noble is the Eau Sauvage like one, the 2022 is A LOT different. I really like both
The OG is another safe blind buy for someone like you, at the very least.
I probably wear Whip a bit more, they are practically kissing cousins, Whip opens a bit more informally with a lemon tart like scent. Eau Noble is the sharp dressed version.

Required accessory in a man's fragrance collection. Classic elegance. Got a great deal on a tester. Chanel & Jacques Polge created arguably a timeless masterpiece. Lavender & Rosemary with some neroli, Petitgrain and a multifaceted flower accord. Then the classic drydown of Oakmoss, Vetiver and woods is simply done to near perfection. The vintage stuff is better quality but, the more to date bottles are simply well done. No regrets.

20220723_064231.jpg

IMG_0500.jpeg

Testing Perris Monte Carlo Bergamotto di Calibra again today.

I noticed the spicy pepper in the opening a bit more this wearing, and personally quite liked it. Very interesting for a cologne as it has a distinct opening mid and base, and they are all very nice. The dry down especially really works for me, and being a cologne, even having a dry down isn't always expected. It's a woody floral dry down that retains a classic masculine feel for me.
The coolest part is when that sandalwood pops up out of nowhere in the mid, lasts for a little while, but it's so clear and distinct that it's brought a happy where did that come from smile to my face.
Of course it's no projection beast, but that's what I like in a cologne, you just find it will pop up and smell wonderful from time to time throughout the wear.

Last edited:
Back