The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Picked up a bottle tonight on my way home that I just had to open.
IMG_20191015_232712004[1].jpg
It has been almost 20 years since I last had a bottle of this. It is still just as good as I remember. WT101 isn't expensive bourbon, but it is good stuff. It is made with a high rye mashbill, so it is more spicy than sweet. It is definitely one of those "benchmark" sort of products. It is a solid standby that can be used as a measuring stick for other bottles. I have had the WT81 before, but it just tasted watered-down to me compared to the 101.

After that I decided to put more of a dent in this guy:
IMG_20191015_232727171[1].jpg
This one is an inexpensive pour at around $15, but it is tasty. There are much better bourbons out there, but this one has a very pleasant flavor profile, hitting all the expected bourbon notes.
IMG_20191015_232737135[1].jpg
As you can see, I still have a little ways to go before the bottle is empty but I am going to enjoy every drop. I expect that I won't buy it again, but it will do in a pinch. I tend to drink it straight. My wife likes it in a Whiskey Sour. It really is a better mixing bourbon than a sipping bourbon, but it does do okay on its own. I am enjoying it neat tonight.

I am definitely an alcohol snob. I love fine wines, and have spent years developing a taste for them. I have had several bottles over the years in the 100+ range that have really knocked my socks off. I have been a bourbon drinker since college. Love the stuff. I am also a fan of Rye Whiskey. Canadian Whiskey is too mild for me. I appreciate Scotch Whisky, and really enjoy a glass on occasion, but don't care much for the peat flavors. I also find Irish Whisky to be good stuff, definitely my second choice in whisky types, but bourbon and rye is where it is at for me. Carmel, smoke, vanilla, sweetness from the corn (and sometimes wheat), and spice from the rye are what really please my palate.

A couple of Modelo Especial left over from Thanksgiving visitors. (Yes, we Canadians hold it in the correct month so that we're not tukey'd-out for Christmas 🤪)

I’m still working on that bottle of wild turkey but I picked up a bottle of chocolate bourbon from BevMo that is quite tasty too. The chocolate bourbon is a little too sweet even for something you’d expect to be super sweet so cutting it with wild turkey works well ...now both bottles going fast. I have a bottle of peanut butter whiskey waiting for me at BevMo for me to pick up Monday.

Good old @Spider ahis black light. I think I’ll stay away from the Krakin coffee, I learned to fear artificial colors in my liquor, I’ll stick to the spiced rum.
On another note. I picked up order from BevMo today (yeah me!) and am now enjoying my second glass of peanut butter whiskey. OMG this is way too good to be left alone with. I get a definitely sense I could drink this by the 8 ounce glass ... then wish I didn’t. I love the sweet salty taste that is part of the artificial peanut butter flavor but I’ve had bad experiences with whiskey’s that have a lot of artificial flat and colors, as good as this tastes it is probably bast enjoyed very modestly. ...especially since I have an early morning planned. It did give me an idea I am surprised I hadn’t already had...peanut butter soap...why not?

Back