The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

But did it live up to the hype? Does it satisfy the Peanut Butter lover in you?

Not as satisfying as a spoon full of crunchy peanut butter. But still good.

People put peanuts in coke so I wonder if this would be good mixed with coke. :unsure:

My wife and I went to our son's school to volunteer to help prepare for a fund raising fashion show and to put together fund raising mailers. He is away on a retreat so afterwards, we went to our favorite restaurant near his school (his school is about a half hour away from our home) for happy hour. I saw a bottle of Screwball on the bar and apparently the staff had been doing a little tasting session. I love PB&J but it doesn't translate well for me in alcoholic drinks, so I didn't try it. I did try something I had not tried before though. I am a big Ketel One fan and noticed a bottle of their orange flavored vodka on the bar. Generally I am not a fan of flavored vodka because they all seem to end up tasting fake and chemically. I decided to try it and I have to say it was the best flavored vodka I've ever had. It was a nice subtle and realistic orange flavor and it was super smooth, typical of Ketel One in general. I enjoyed it but limited myself to one drink as I was driving. We also ordered their cheese platter that had some gouda, feta, burrata, wild boar salami, prosciutto and another salami with fennel in it. It came with some apple chutney, some cartelized onions and baguettes. Really delicious.

I am a big Ketel One fan and noticed a bottle of their orange flavored vodka on the bar. Generally I am not a fan of flavored vodka because they all seem to end up tasting fake and chemically. I decided to try it and I have to say it was the best flavored vodka I've ever had. It was a nice subtle and realistic orange flavor and it was super smooth, typical of Ketel One in general.
I’m not a big vodka guy, but that sounds really good!

I’m not a big vodka guy, but that sounds really good!

It was. I had it without any other fruit in it so I could really get a true sense of the flavor in the bottle. What surprised me was how smooth it was. As a kid I used to drink Absolute on the rocks with a wedge of lime back when Absolute was top shelf. I couldn't drink it without making a face it was so harsh. But I drank it anyway for years until other vodkas started coming out. I think I moved on to Grey Goose. But that too can be a bit harsh. Then I tried Ketel One and was struck by how much smoother it was than anything else I had tried. Besides Absolute and Grey Goose I had tried Chopin, Belvedere, Hangar One, Three Olives, and some others. I just can't find anything that matches Ketel in smoothness, which I guess is why they can charge so much for it. We always have the 1.75 liter bottle and a back up in our house. My wife mixes so she can probably use any vodka but I drink vodka, and everything else for that matter, up, either neat or on the rocks. So I don't like to adulterate my adult beverages. Not sure I'm going to go out and buy a bottle of the stuff but I'd order it again the next time I'm at the same bar/restaurant again as we are there at least once a month.

The cheese platter sounds like a winner to me. I have a hard time paying for straight up vodka but my wife drinks vodka mixed and likes the better stuff. She drinks so little I get her what ever she wants. I challenge the bar tender to make a drink that she can’t detect the alcohol, she doesn’t like the heavy pouring bar tender unless they can do it in a way that blends well

The cheese platter sounds like a winner to me. I have a hard time paying for straight up vodka but my wife drinks vodka mixed and likes the better stuff. She drinks so little I get her what ever she wants. I challenge the bar tender to make a drink that she can’t detect the alcohol, she doesn’t like the heavy pouring bar tender unless they can do it in a way that blends well

My wife is similar. She will always look at what drink specials they have and will usually find a creative yet exotic offering. And when she finds one she really likes, she gets the recipe and makes it for her friends on the block. Most of the time the one's she gravitates to usually have simple syrup in the ingredient list. I can't stand sweet drinks so I don't join in on her concoctions.

I usually let my wife try her "experimental" drink before I even consider if I am going to order a drink, she rejects so many of the drinks she tries I either end up drinking them myself.

My wife sometimes likes to experiment with cocktails, but her favorite is a Sidecar (1.5 oz good brandy, 0.75 oz. Cointreau, 0.75 lemon juice). She also likes a good Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. Her favorite spirits for sipping are bourbon and, on occasion, brandy. She is probably more of an alcohol snob than I am. It is really great that we have almost the same alcohol preferences. She is bourbon and brandy, I am bourbon and gin.

My wife sometimes likes to experiment with cocktails, but her favorite is a Sidecar (1.5 oz good brandy, 0.75 oz. Cointreau, 0.75 lemon juice). She also likes a good Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. Her favorite spirits for sipping are bourbon and, on occasion, brandy. She is probably more of an alcohol snob than I am. It is really great that we have almost the same alcohol preferences. She is bourbon and brandy, I am bourbon and gin.

That's a good woman. Hang onto her.

So, tonight was date night, like every Thursday night.

We had dinner at the Boulder Chophouse for the first time. It was pretty good. We had a bottle of Cline Cashmere Red with our meal. It is a GSM blend from California and quite tasty. I would happily have this bottle again. It was a highly oaked bottle, so caveat emptor if you don't like a good hit of butter in your wine.

We are rewatching Justified on Amazon Prime, so when we got home I pulled down the bottle of Larceny bourbon for a little tipple. It isn't a complex bourbon, but it is a very tasty wheater. Just the thing for a relaxing night of good TV.

Now it is getting late, but there is time for one last little sip. This one is going to be a wee bit of the Weller SR store pick (another wheater) that I managed to get earlier this month. Weller SR is not a high-end bourbon at $25 but it is so hard to get because of the collector madness over Pappy and anything else from Buffalo Trace that I will have to savor it a small sip at a time. I will get more when I can, and it is a very, very good bottle, but it feels weird to have to ration a $25 bottle of bourbon.

I really hope that the hype, and the collectors, move on to some other spirit soon so that my bourbons can return to more reasonable prices, and so that I can start to find bottles like Blantons and Elmer T. Lee in my local stores again.

I'll have to check out Weller SR, still haven't seen Blantons at a reasonable price yet. Everyone wants a premium.....
True. Everyone wants a premium, and there are plenty of price gouging going on. Not to mention that several distilleries have raised their prices also.

I'm surprised they don't have TJ's picture on there endorsing it yet..........How do you like it ?
It's a solid bourbon especially for the price. I have paid a lot more for whiskey I like a lot less. I won't say it's my favorite. But it's a nice change of pace and it's something that is easily affordable.

Back