The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

FYI for everyone.

Buss up shut paratha roti- A Trinidad version – Super Soft, Messy and Tasty . Pair it with Channa Curry and Aloo or Trinidad chicken roti. First, a little linguistics lesson, Buss up shut refers to tattered and torn up shirt. Now that is out of the way let's talk about this amazing tender flat bread.

Tonight on the way home from work I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon. I hadn't had it in several years. I remembered liking it, and I wanted to pickup a new bottle. I also picked up a couple of airling sized bottles of a few other things. One of those airline bottles was Old Forrester 86 proof. I decided I would have a little tasting tonight just to celebrate surviving yet another Monday.

The Old Forrester was up first. It is really, really good. I am going to be acquiring a bottle of this. I think it may become my benchmark bourbon. It has a sweet, fruity note that really appealed to me. At ~$20 per bottle it is definitely a good value and a decent sipper. At 86 proof it has a gentle heat that doesn't overpower.

Next up was the old standby, Maker's Mark, which I also haven't had in quite a while. This wheated bourbon is very balanced, including the heat, with none of its characters really standing out. It is harmonious with a cereal note that is really appealing. This is my wife's favorite bourbon, so we always have a bottle of it on hand. I really like it, but it is not my favorite.

Third was the new bottle of Buffalo Trace. This one is also really sweet, but not as fruity as the Old Forrester. It is more carmel and honey. Picking up this bottle was a good idea.

My last libation was the Jim Beam Repeal Batch. This one was released for the 85th anniversary of the repeal of Prohibition. It has all the same qualities as normal Jim Beam, woody and slightly metallic, but it is a more fully flavored version of that taste profile. This is a ~$17 bottle and one that I probably won't pickup again. But, it is an enjoyable spirit.

Had another restock run.... just about everything was on sale! The Sauza was only $10 and the Gentlemen Jack was $8 off making it $20 a bottle... which is why I got 2. And I think Screwball has found a permanent place in my Liquor Cabinet. All together we saved $39 on this trip!

2B7060A9-1A31-4D2C-A42A-2E493B0661AB.jpeg

I looked at my grocery store and they didn't have screwball. Figured that'd be the case but they have a surprisingly large selection so I half hoped it'd be there. The search continues!

Back