The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Laphroaig 10 Sherry Cask - oh boy, first impressions of this bottle are very good!

2873b2c7003f9835e8d244c913cba01b.jpg
I’ll verify shortly ;)

87D47D4A-E10D-405F-A96B-93E5609D484C.jpeg
so first of all it’s been a while since I’ve had the 10. Have a 1/2 bottle left and don’t think I’ll be repurchasing. Given all the other scotches I’ve had since it’s just too harsh. The Sherry Oak does soften it without taking away that classic Laphroaig slap in the face. I’ll have to try it against the triple wood later.

FYI Oreo Thins go very well with Laphroaig
Well that's something I've never tried before! Might have to take that suggestion. Sad that the standard 10 year isn't tickling your fancy anymore, I generally stay with the 10 CS or Quarter Cask these days.

@Somnos while I've only had one dram I'm very much enjoying the Sherry 10 so far. I don't like the $25 premium to standard 10 though. But that's the market these days. As long as the bottle doesn't change drastically as it opens up, I plan to keep one in the bar because I love the wine finished Laphroaig and assuming this is a seasonal release will be much easier to find than various Cairdeas wine finishes.

FYI Oreo Thins go very well with Laphroaig
Well that's something I've never tried before! Might have to take that suggestion.
Interesting proposition! I found that I generally appreciated the scotch samples I had more when I ate something savory or more balanced in taste. If I ate things that were to salty, acidic, or sweet, I felt the scotch flavors really blasted my palate with some harsh notes.

Well that's something I've never tried before! Might have to take that suggestion. Sad that the standard 10 year isn't tickling your fancy anymore, I generally stay with the 10 CS or Quarter Cask these days.

@Somnos while I've only had one dram I'm very much enjoying the Sherry 10 so far. I don't like the $25 premium to standard 10 though. But that's the market these days. As long as the bottle doesn't change drastically as it opens up, I plan to keep one in the bar because I love the wine finished Laphroaig and assuming this is a seasonal release will be much easier to find than various Cairdeas wine finishes.
Well though there is a premium I need to grab a bottle of the Sherry Cask L10. Thanks for the insight!

So the 9 is in a different class. Just got some backups because they were cheap and still in the Lagavulin family. The 16 has probably been my favorite Islay scotch. Dare I say I think I like the Guinness cask a bit better? The 16 has a finish of citrus, grain, and wood. The Guinness rounds things out a bit and adds some dark chocolate or cocoa and some creaminess.

Back