The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

@NurseDave as the age increase on Laphroaig, the in-your-face Laphroaig profile milds and gets more refined. Which is good since you'd expect the complexity to increase with age and price!

If you've found it at $100 that is an absolute no-brainer since Cairdeas now retails there, the new finished 10 year at $90, etc. At $140 it's something I enjoy but not enough to stock regularly, but as a special occasion bottle. The 16 year is as far as I go in terms of purchasing entire bottles since above that start to get very pricy. Sure the 30 year is phenomenal but I'll stick to a pricy pour at a bar!

@NurseDave as the age increase on Laphroaig, the in-your-face Laphroaig profile milds and gets more refined. Which is good since you'd expect the complexity to increase with age and price!

If you've found it at $100 that is an absolute no-brainer since Cairdeas now retails there, the new finished 10 year at $90, etc. At $140 it's something I enjoy but not enough to stock regularly, but as a special occasion bottle. The 16 year is as far as I go in terms of purchasing entire bottles since above that start to get very pricy. Sure the 30 year is phenomenal but I'll stick to a pricy pour at a bar!
30 is $2500 a bottle …book 2 of course…😳

All I can say is wow!!!

c4cc024b9d2ad577e2e5e55739637515.jpg

@Somnos I saw that Wee Ardbeg in the Scotch aisle this afternoon and thought of you Ed - you'll have to let us know how you like it! Na Zdrowie!

I haven't done a deep dive into Japanese but did drink a lot of it while over there for a couple months for work. Nikka from the Barrel is a personal favorite. Kakubin isn't available here in North America but is my favorite value bottle if you're ever in Japan or see it in Duty Free.

@Somnos I saw that Wee Ardbeg in the Scotch aisle this afternoon and thought of you Ed - you'll have to let us know how you like it! Na Zdrowie!

I haven't done a deep dive into Japanese but did drink a lot of it while over there for a couple months for work. Nikka from the Barrel is a personal favorite. Kakubin isn't available here in North America but is my favorite value bottle if you're ever in Japan or see it in Duty Free.
Yup that Nikka is the one I am looking for but we have none available in the LCBO.

The Wee Beastie is young but tasty! I am really enjoying it! There really is a fruity element to it. You get the tar, asphalt, smoke, vanilla, nutmeg… You would be happy with it really. If you grabbed a bottle of Wee Beastie and 10 you could pretty much be happy on the Ardbeg side as much as core expressions. Lagavulin 8 vs 16. Young, sharp, thin vs old, mellow and well rounded…kinda like us! 😂

I will say this Wolfburn is the best non-peated I’ve had. Anyone interested in the deets, I’ll post what was sent to the single malt club below.

The Wolfburn Distillery was established 200 years ago in Thurso, on the Northern coast of Highland Scotland. It was named after the stream from where the distillery gets its water. It was actively producing whisky until the 1850s when the original founder, William Smith, passed away. By the end of the 1870s, the distillery was considered in ruins by an Ordnance Survey map. In 2013, a private consortium reopened the Wolfburn Distillery. Its opening came with many conditions such as: maintaining the Wolfburn name and using the same water source as the original distillery. Wolfburn’s custom still was manufactured by Forsyths, the same still manufacturer who made Balcones’ still, our June American Whiskey Explorer Club release.

Our No. 375, refers to the warehouse and stow number. What you have in your glass is the third release from Wolfburn’s Small Batch Collection.This experimental project matured in 100 liter barrels from Woodford Reserve. These barrels were then filled with lightly peated spirit and vatted with Oloroso sherry hogshead. The small cask has created an extraordinarily well balanced and rounded whisky with a rich depth of flavour and lasting finish.

On the nose sherry sweetness mingles with aromas of heather honey and apple blossom. On the palate its complexity shows itself: at first sweet and creamy, then soft bourbon notes begin to shine through. Hints of oak and vanillin are present throughout and as the oaky flavours subside autumn fruits come to the fore: dried apple, gooseberries and maple syrup are all here. The finish lingers, with the honey tones present until the very end. It is a truly beautiful dram

I will say this Wolfburn is the best non-peated I’ve had. Anyone interested in the deets, I’ll post what was sent to the single malt club below.

The Wolfburn Distillery was established 200 years ago in Thurso, on the Northern coast of Highland Scotland. It was named after the stream from where the distillery gets its water. It was actively producing whisky until the 1850s when the original founder, William Smith, passed away. By the end of the 1870s, the distillery was considered in ruins by an Ordnance Survey map. In 2013, a private consortium reopened the Wolfburn Distillery. Its opening came with many conditions such as: maintaining the Wolfburn name and using the same water source as the original distillery. Wolfburn’s custom still was manufactured by Forsyths, the same still manufacturer who made Balcones’ still, our June American Whiskey Explorer Club release.

Our No. 375, refers to the warehouse and stow number. What you have in your glass is the third release from Wolfburn’s Small Batch Collection.This experimental project matured in 100 liter barrels from Woodford Reserve. These barrels were then filled with lightly peated spirit and vatted with Oloroso sherry hogshead. The small cask has created an extraordinarily well balanced and rounded whisky with a rich depth of flavour and lasting finish.

On the nose sherry sweetness mingles with aromas of heather honey and apple blossom. On the palate its complexity shows itself: at first sweet and creamy, then soft bourbon notes begin to shine through. Hints of oak and vanillin are present throughout and as the oaky flavours subside autumn fruits come to the fore: dried apple, gooseberries and maple syrup are all here. The finish lingers, with the honey tones present until the very end. It is a truly beautiful dram
Your review? Nice job Dave!

I’ll say that trying that Naked Grouse you sent has me wanting a sherry infused scotch for sure. It was a welcome treat! I’ll be on the hunt post-move, once my current bottles are done!

Back