The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Did a blind tasting last night of 7 peated whiskies. Only one of which was an Islay. Most of the group’s top pick, and mine, was Glendronich Traditionally Peated. This was peat, brown sugar, and milk chocolate. Just really yummy. Not available in the US, but 2nd cheapest of the tasting an affordable from Whisky World. There is a Glendronich Peated which they said you could find in the states, but isn’t the same.

#2 for most and the #1 for the others that didn’t pick the Glendronich was 14y Ardbeg Darkness. This one is almost four times the price and I don’t think it’s available in the US. This had a ramped up Ardbeg sweetness followed by Laphroaig petrol.

Ok, had a sample of my 3rd Octomore tonight. 10.4 3y in virgin oak 63.5%. I was expecting a bit more peat in the first two I tried. This is where they were hiding all of it! I didn’t suspect it with a nose of peat, butter, pear and mint. The taste was like the campfire wasn’t even out yet and those logs were covered with grey ash. Boom!!! If I were to buy an Octomore it would be this one. But you sure have to be in a certain mood to want more than a sip or two of this bad boy.

On Sundays, I indulge in a healthy dram of Scotch. This week it's Laphroaig 10.
1c7db52851bf6205cb7a4443cdacdf22.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ok, had a sample of my 3rd Octomore tonight. 10.4 3y in virgin oak 63.5%. I was expecting a bit more peat in the first two I tried. This is where they were hiding all of it! I didn’t suspect it with a nose of peat, butter, pear and mint. The taste was like the campfire wasn’t even out yet and those logs were covered with grey ash. Boom!!! If I were to buy an Octomore it would be this one. But you sure have to be in a certain mood to want more than a sip or two of this bad boy.
Yup. A great bottling

I need a full dram later. But at first blush, Lagavulin 8 is closer to Laphroaig 10 than it is to Lagavulin 16.
Well I wouldn’t go that far. It is however, one very fine dram In it’s own right. A 16 it is not but I have a bottle of 8 right next to it and enjoy them both.

Well I wouldn’t go that far. It is however, one very fine dram In it’s own right. A 16 it is not but I have a bottle of 8 right next to it and enjoy them both.
I will leave you to it then good sir. I had a zoom call with a local whisky group last night and sipped from the 8, 9, and 16. I would really like to try the other expressions at some point. But I don't think I'll be buying the 8 anymore. Certainly drinkable, but I'd pick Ardbeg or Laphroaig first.

I will leave you to it then good sir. I had a zoom call with a local whisky group last night and sipped from the 8, 9, and 16. I would really like to try the other expressions at some point. But I don't think I'll be buying the 8 anymore. Certainly drinkable, but I'd pick Ardbeg or Laphroaig first.
Oh yes indeed. It’s a tasty dram for sure there is much more out there: the special edition 12 that comes out once a year is cask strength and excellent. 2019 was good (as I was told) but I couldn’t get paw to 2020. My last 12 was quite a few years ago. That Laga would be worth it.

So, I have questions about Scotch. How does one drink Scotch? I've heard of drinking it straight and on the rocks but that seems like its only touching on the subject. Is it best at room temperature? How many ice cubes? I've even heard of adding water....what's that all about? I'm interested but with no way to get started. Help me Dave-kenobi....you're my only hope.

So, I have questions about Scotch. How does one drink Scotch? I've heard of drinking it straight and on the rocks but that seems like its only touching on the subject. Is it best at room temperature? How many ice cubes? I've even heard of adding water....what's that all about? I'm interested but with no way to get started. Help me Dave-kenobi....you're my only hope.
Dude, I'm the newbie in this group to scotch. Or anything but wine really. The nice thing to say is any way you like to drink it is the right way.

What my learnings during COVID have taught me. To get the MOST out of the flavors in scotch, or any whisky, it should be at room temp. Adding ice will mute the flavors and begin to dilute it. Which, to some people makes it more palatable. There are two reasons to purposefully add a touch of water. One would be that there can be some compounds that are oil-soluble in a scotch. Adding a few drops of water separates those out making them more pronounced. So can change the smell and taste. The other reason would be to lower the proof. Again for preference. High alcohol content can also mask some of the more subtle flavors, as well as change the taste profile. My understanding is blenders ofter dilute way to a proof way below what the end product will be bottled at to be able to detect more of the flavor notes.

Personally, I drink it all straight. And I need to learn to add a touch of water to the higher-proof stuff just to learn what happens.

Dude, I'm the newbie in this group to scotch. Or anything but wine really. The nice thing to say is any way you like to drink it is the right way.

What my learnings during COVID have taught me. To get the MOST out of the flavors in scotch, or any whisky, it should be at room temp. Adding ice will mute the flavors and begin to dilute it. Which, to some people makes it more palatable. There are two reasons to purposefully add a touch of water. One would be that there can be some compounds that are oil-soluble in a scotch. Adding a few drops of water separates those out making them more pronounced. So can change the smell and taste. The other reason would be to lower the proof. Again for preference. High alcohol content can also mask some of the more subtle flavors, as well as change the taste profile. My understanding is blenders ofter dilute way to a proof way below what the end product will be bottled at to be able to detect more of the flavor notes.

Personally, I drink it all straight. And I need to learn to add a touch of water to the higher-proof stuff just to learn what happens.

This is a fantastic summary from Dave. I will also add that it *generally* is better to start with lower proof options and less polarizing offerings. I've had many friends, most of whom are bourbon drinkers, ask to try something like a Laphroaig Cask Strength when they see it on my bar and it immediately turns them off to Scotch lock stock and barrel. Which is a total shame because not only is something like that high proof, but a very specific type of Scotch that even many Scotch lovers are not a fan of. Don't let SM snobs ruin a good blend either. You'll see many guys here drinking Monkey Shoulder, which is a fantastic Scotch. I personally have an affinity for Famous Grouse.

Pick up a nice and easy "intro" Scotch - Monkey Shoulder would be great, Glenfiddich 12 if you want a SM. Try it neat. Add a few drops of water if it's too much alcohol and then try it. As Dave said, it's really more about getting the most flavor out of the liquid in your most preferable format. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

If you like what you're drinking, maybe branch into some of the more niche Scotches : Glenmorangie Lasanta if you want a sherried, Black Bottle for a nice intro to Islay. Like the sherry? Head deeper with Macallan 12 Sherry or Aberlour A'bunadh. Islay head like me and Dave? Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig.

This is a fantastic summary from Dave. I will also add that it *generally* is better to start with lower proof options and less polarizing offerings. I've had many friends, most of whom are bourbon drinkers, ask to try something like a Laphroaig Cask Strength when they see it on my bar and it immediately turns them off to Scotch lock stock and barrel. Which is a total shame because not only is something like that high proof, but a very specific type of Scotch that even many Scotch lovers are not a fan of. Don't let SM snobs ruin a good blend either. You'll see many guys here drinking Monkey Shoulder, which is a fantastic Scotch. I personally have an affinity for Famous Grouse.

Pick up a nice and easy "intro" Scotch - Monkey Shoulder would be great, Glenfiddich 12 if you want a SM. Try it neat. Add a few drops of water if it's too much alcohol and then try it. As Dave said, it's really more about getting the most flavor out of the liquid in your most preferable format. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

If you like what you're drinking, maybe branch into some of the more niche Scotches : Glenmorangie Lasanta if you want a sherried, Black Bottle for a nice intro to Islay. Like the sherry? Head deeper with Macallan 12 Sherry or Aberlour A'bunadh. Islay head like me and Dave? Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig.

Wow!! That was super helpful. Thanks. I'll start looking for something "intro" this weekend. Again, I appreciate the advice.

Back