The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

@Somnos Longbranch is one I haven't tried yet, which is probably a shame as I'm a huge WT fan and have had everything else offered in the base portfolio. Every time I've seen it, the RR 10 year is the same price so I grab it since it's got 3 more years and a little bit of a proof boost. Might have to finally try it soon...

FIL and I polished off my bottle of Baby Saz on Saturday for the Illini basketball game. Good rye, but I'm just as happy with Rittenhouse or WT101 Rye which is FAR easier to source than Baby Saz. I will say, I think Buffalo Trace finally unlocked some of the liquid though as I've seen it at retail far more frequently in the past year than I had for a while.

@Somnos Longbranch is one I haven't tried yet, which is probably a shame as I'm a huge WT fan and have had everything else offered in the base portfolio. Every time I've seen it, the RR 10 year is the same price so I grab it since it's got 3 more years and a little bit of a proof boost. Might have to finally try it soon...

FIL and I polished off my bottle of Baby Saz on Saturday for the Illini basketball game. Good rye, but I'm just as happy with Rittenhouse or WT101 Rye which is FAR easier to source than Baby Saz. I will say, I think Buffalo Trace finally unlocked some of the liquid though as I've seen it at retail far more frequently in the past year than I had for a while.
It really is a tasty one for sure but I can see why for the same money you'd grab the RR 10. Question, you have a bottle of the Alberta Premium Cask Strength no? It has started to reappear in stores up here and is retailing just shy of $70 CDN. How is it? At 66% ABV is is a fire breathing monster but I don't shy away from Cask Strength. I only as because the last time I bought a "Whiskey of the Year" that was Canadian was Crown Royal Northern Harvest...that ended in quite a few expletives and a PIF. :cautious:

It really is a tasty one for sure but I can see why for the same money you'd grab the RR 10. Question, you have a bottle of the Alberta Premium Cask Strength no? It has started to reappear in stores up here and is retailing just shy of $70 CDN. How is it? At 66% ABV is is a fire breathing monster but I don't shy away from Cask Strength. I only as because the last time I bought a "Whiskey of the Year" that was Canadian was Crown Royal Northern Harvest...that ended in quite a few expletives and a PIF. :cautious:

Indeed I do have a bottle! I've only had it once, the same day I picked it up, so let me crack it open again tonight and let you know. First impressions were good but want to give it another go before definitively saying. 🥃

@Somnos Alright Ed, took one for the team and poured a wee dram while finishing up some emails. It's a tough ask but someone's gotta do it.

I'm still loving it. It is absolutely a monster of a rye. This isn't a barely legal rye or rye heavy bourbon. It's 100% rye grain. And that's a beast in itself. Typical rye notes of mint, pine, etc. but turned all the way to 11. I don't get any dill notes in this one, which makes me a happy man. Would make a mean Manhattan too - one that would probably knock you on your ass if you weren't careful!

If you like rye I don't think you'd be disappointed in this bottle!

d321c05ce3035be42a4d5c12101c615f.jpg

@Somnos Alright Ed, took one for the team and poured a wee dram while finishing up some emails. It's a tough ask but someone's gotta do it.

I'm still loving it. It is absolutely a monster of a rye. This isn't a barely legal rye or rye heavy bourbon. It's 100% rye grain. And that's a beast in itself. Typical rye notes of mint, pine, etc. but turned all the way to 11. I don't get any dill notes in this one, which makes me a happy man. Would make a mean Manhattan too - one that would probably knock you on your ass if you weren't careful!

If you like rye I don't think you'd be disappointed in this bottle!

d321c05ce3035be42a4d5c12101c615f.jpg
Well that sounds right in my wheelhouse. Well looks like I have to get me one of those. I appreciate you taking one for the team @Fightingillini22...thanks Ryan!

Last night I tried my seven new samples. Oh em gee that Caol Ila 11 and Blackadder Peat Reek were AWESOME! The bummer being is this guy doesn't just get core expressions of most things, so those particular bottles will be impossible to find. I'll eventually add similar selections to the collection though.

Last night I tried my seven new samples. Oh em gee that Caol Ila 11 and Blackadder Peat Reek were AWESOME! The bummer being is this guy doesn't just get core expressions of most things, so those particular bottles will be impossible to find. I'll eventually add similar selections to the collection though.

Been a while since I've had Caol Ila, was that sample of 11 noticeably different than the standard 12 year?

Ok, I lied. I thought I had the 12 in a tasting kit, but I did not. From my memory the 11 has more sweetness up front. But I also believe that the 11s are single barrels so who knows how consistent that is.

Back