The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

I have the 12 and like it. The 18 is a bit more tasty but not enjoyable enough to pay $160 for it.

Last night was Craigellachie 13. But Tuesday night I tried a couple of Octomores. 6.1 I had notes of peat, menthol and barley. 9.3was very sweet like a sugar candy, but also hot with honey and peat. To me there were "ok". Other than given the cache around them, if I were given a choice of glass I would still pick Ardbeg, or Laphroaig Triple Wood.

Tried Laphroaig 25 against the 10 tonight. They are no where close to similar. The 25 smells like butterscotch and doesn’t have the kerosene taste note the 10 does. So much more mellow as one would expect. It’s the first older whisky I felt was a lot better than the younger version. At $500/bottle I won’t be getting one though.

Tried Laphroaig 25 against the 10 tonight. They are no where close to similar. The 25 smells like butterscotch and doesn’t have the kerosene taste note the 10 does. So much more mellow as one would expect. It’s the first older whisky I felt was a lot better than the younger version. At $500/bottle I won’t be getting one though.
This makes me miss Laphroig 30. I finished my last of it a decade ago.

Killed my WT KY Spirit store pick on this snowy Sunday afternoon in Chicagoland. I don't think KY Spirit gets enough attention. IMHO it's not just an up-priced 101 but rather takes everything I love about 101 and really smoothes out the sharper edges.

71f3297659b644b26e5b86917c7a9c6e.jpg

Anyone ever have any offerings from the SMWS?

I remembered getting one a while back as part of a sample swap, so just dug through my old collection of spent sample bottles and found it - 29.179 which was a Laphroaig offering. Evidently called "Tarry Ropes on a Wooden Boat." I don't have any of my tasting notes documented anywhere but from memory I do remember being particularly excited about an independent Laphroaig offering but nothing beyond that.

Without access to their physical rooms, the cost : benefit of a $100 / year membership hasn't aligned for me. I regularly see interesting Signatory offerings flow through our local chain if I'm looking for an independent bottling (hell there was even an independent Laphroaig at Costco here recently) which scratches the itch without requiring a fee. Perusing their bottlings on their website is fun, though!

Sounds about right. I looked into it last night. You can actually get the 1st year for around $45 when you get a bottle at the same time. I think the idea of buying around flavor profile vs distillery is interesting and might lead to exploring a bit more. But it seems like the bottom price for a bottle is $100 and quickly goes up. And unless you have experience with them, it seems like a total blind buy. I did see one of their US bars is in SF. So, someday I hope to get there and try some of their bottles.

Of course, I still have a ton to taste, but I think I'm getting a handle on what I want to keep around for a daily drinker type. So the next step is seeing what will blow me away enough to spend more on to keep in the back of the cabinet for those special times. Same thing with wine for me. No way I can taste all of what Napa offers, but I've tried enough to know where my basement level is and also what will make me shut my eyes and say "wow".

Sounds about right. I looked into it last night. You can actually get the 1st year for around $45 when you get a bottle at the same time. I think the idea of buying around flavor profile vs distillery is interesting and might lead to exploring a bit more. But it seems like the bottom price for a bottle is $100 and quickly goes up. And unless you have experience with them, it seems like a total blind buy. I did see one of their US bars is in SF. So, someday I hope to get there and try some of their bottles.

Of course, I still have a ton to taste, but I think I'm getting a handle on what I want to keep around for a daily drinker type. So the next step is seeing what will blow me away enough to spend more on to keep in the back of the cabinet for those special times. Same thing with wine for me. No way I can taste all of what Napa offers, but I've tried enough to know where my basement level is and also what will make me shut my eyes and say "wow".
Definitely a great place to be in the journey. I've settled into peaty scotches as my primary comfort zone along with some nice wine finished sprinkled in for good measure. I've tended away from more "traditional" single malts in favor of bourbon. And recently have been enjoying rums during the summer. It's definitely good to know what you like and what's generally not worth chasing or wasting money on.

Tonight I polished off my ECBP. I'll miss this bottle. Hopefully will find a replacement bottle at retail soon enough. Happy Friday Cadre Speakeasy friends!

445fb5f4331827be46c6886009a7174f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

So what did you think?
It’s tasty Dave and if it was available as a core expression, I would be happy to have a bottle of it sitting in the bar permanently. It’s at a good ABV you get some subtle spice and sweetness ...it’s tasty. Are there better ones out there for the money? Oh yeah but it’s a neat edition and packaged nicely. Great conversation piece.

Back