The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Whistle Pig 10 year - nose is floral, mint, sharp spices. Taste herbal, white pepper, grain. Whistle Pig has been on my want to try list for a long time. Glad I got a small bottle.

Not entirely sure if they are still sourcing from ADL (I would venture a yes, at least on the 10 YO) but when I tried it I also found their liquid selection to be a little too herbal & minty for my taste as well.

Think I decided against making my Laphroaig video. I’m not the best at explaining Whisky notes and I’m sure I already know how I would rank them.

Back when the whiskey swap subreddit was still in full swing, I always struggled with notes, especially when compared to the "professionals." Rather than rank them, have you thought about trying to blindly identify? Might be a little easier with your Laphroaig lineup, but that was something I always loved doing. Wasn't as much about trying to identify particular notes and ranking, but rather seeing if I could match what I was tasting in the glass to what I thought each bottle "should" taste like. My wife really enjoyed setting them up and seeing if I could guess correctly before showing me the answer sheet.

Not entirely sure if they are still sourcing from ADL (I would venture a yes, at least on the 10 YO) but when I tried it I also found their liquid selection to be a little too herbal & minty for my taste as well.
What do you think of Michter's or Pikesville. Those are two other ryes I wanted to try. I like the nice and spicy ones that give you something to think about.

What do you think of Michter's or Pikesville. Those are two other ryes I wanted to try. I like the nice and spicy ones that give you something to think about.

Haven't had the chance to try Michter's. Pikesville is very good. At 110 proof it stands on its own both neat and as a cocktail (which is what I primarily used my last bottle for.) It's basically Rittenhouse aged a little longer and with a proof bump. Our local mega chain typically has store picks of Knob Creek Rye for $45 (which are often older than Pikesville and higher proof) though so that's generally where I steer when I'm looking for a higher proof sipping rye. If I didn't have such great luck with the Knob Creek Rye picks, I'd definitely be picking up Pikesville though.

For my well rye I have always and will always use WT 101 Rye.

Legent - got as a gift and I like it more than I thought I would. Guess I shouldn't be surprised as while I'm not a fan of Angel's Envy I love my wine finished scotches and this leans heavy in that direction.

Goes down a little too easy!

335b7da2ed655b535417d61119cf5922.jpg

That was good Dave! 5 fer 5, pretty dang good!

When you read that last bit about adding twice as much water as whiskey...that’s like “what the flippety flop?!” That just sounds crazy. Just a few drops of water seems to really weaken the intensity as you noted, that seems like nuclear war overkill. 😮

Glen Scotia Victoriana. I remember not being thrilled with this on the neck pour. Getting come honey and vanilla on the nose and taste now.
Oxidation helps it in the bottle. I left mine for a year after opening it (because it didn’t do anything for me ) and then when I tried it again, it had matured very nicely. All gone now

Had a dram of Midwinter’s Night Dram while relaxing with the cat with the rain a pouring outside.

Then tried Springbank 10 and 15. This was a good use of samples as I wouldn’t buy a full bottle of their, but they weren’t terrible.

Tonight I compared Highland 12, 18, and 21. Another good use of samples. There were differences; but for me the value just wasn’t there. But the 21 did smell like lovely syrup.

Tonight I compared Highland 12, 18, and 21. Another good use of samples. There were differences; but for me the value just wasn’t there. But the 21 did smell like lovely syrup.
Holy smokes, that quite a numbers difference! Would you land on the 12 then normally or 18?

Back