The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Is a Midwinter’s Night Dram worth the hype?

Just finished catching up on the thread, IMHO it's a delicious cold weather rye but I wouldn't pay secondary pricing for it. If you like rye and port finishes and can find it at retail, I'd pick it up. If it's secondary priced, just pick up one of the other fine wine finished whiskeys out there.

Mortlach Distiller's Dram
17be905a1685796e123297a3a1e2ebdc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So what’s the verdict on that fine dram?!

Very enjoyable and tasty. Lots of berry in it with some anise notes as well. The finish was smooth. I am not so sure I would rush out and buy another bottle at the price as there are plenty of whiskeys that cost much less that punch above their class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very enjoyable and tasty. Lots of berry in it with some anise notes as well. The finish was smooth. I am not so sure I would rush out and buy another bottle at the price as there are plenty of whiskeys that cost much less that punch above their class.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any expression of Mortlach is hard to find in my neck of the woods. Example would be the Game of Thrones edition which for all purposes is a 15 Mortlach which lists for $199 here.

Any expression of Mortlach is hard to find in my neck of the woods. Example would be the Game of Thrones edition which for all purposes is a 15 Mortlach which lists for $199 here.
That is steep. The Mortlach 16 Distiller's Dram was $149 by me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Mortlach 12 is fairly common here in Chicagoland and runs at $45 - haven't had an urge to try it yet. Our big chain Binny's regularly has Signatory Mortlach picks but those have been SUPER hit or miss for me with other distilleries liquid so I'm gun-shy.

The 16 isn't as common but can be found and runs $100 so pretty significantly cheaper than you guys @NickCard @Somnos

Yeungling is a Pennsylvania based beer, on the cheap side (think Budweiser). Imo, it's better tasting, but your not fooling anyone into thinking it's a craft beer. I believe I heard it's one of the oldest US breweries?

According to what I'm told by my beverage center, this was released in previous years, but only hyper local and very limited edition. Aka, no way Upstate NY sees it. This year they expanded it production and we managed to get our hands on it. [emoji482]

It's a Porter, and not a cheap one to my taste buds. The cheap ones tend to be dark in color, but still thin tasting like any other mass produced beer (Budweiser with brown food coloring-esque). This is robust, malty and has a great chocolate taste. It's been a few years (decades?) Since I had Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, but this is in line with that for quality ingredients. It also is about the same price, so Yeungling knew they made something (waaaay) better. Still, worth every penny. Hope it sticks around long enough to buy a few more 12-packs.

Thursday night done right! [emoji6]
6cd0d4fa7275cc1cdd44741f00df602a.jpg

Yeungling is a Pennsylvania based beer, on the cheap side (think Budweiser). Imo, it's better tasting, but your not fooling anyone into thinking it's a craft beer. I believe I heard it's one of the oldest US breweries?

According to what I'm told by my beverage center, this was released in previous years, but only hyper local and very limited edition. Aka, no way Upstate NY sees it. This year they expanded it production and we managed to get our hands on it. [emoji482]

It's a Porter, and not a cheap one to my taste buds. The cheap ones tend to be dark in color, but still thin tasting like any other mass produced beer (Budweiser with brown food coloring-esque). This is robust, malty and has a great chocolate taste. It's been a few years (decades?) Since I had Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, but this is in line with that for quality ingredients. It also is about the same price, so Yeungling knew they made something (waaaay) better. Still, worth every penny. Hope it sticks around long enough to buy a few more 12-packs.

Thursday night done right! [emoji6]
6cd0d4fa7275cc1cdd44741f00df602a.jpg
Yep, thats a good one. I like their Black and Tan also. I agree with you in that it is not a craft beer, but I will almost always pick up some of their regular lager before I will buy a Bud, miller, Coors etc... Its just good drinking beer.

Yep, thats a good one. I like their Black and Tan also. I agree with you in that it is not a craft beer, but I will almost always pick up some of their regular lager before I will buy a Bud, miller, Coors etc... Its just good drinking beer.
Absolutely. The black & tan is a great option for a cheap, quality, drinkable beer.

I obviously don't spend enough time looking at the label anymore, since it says right at the top of the label 'America's oldest brewery'. Lol.

I've never had the pleasure of trying it on tap, but I've been told it's 10x better. A friend of mine and his dad used to head in that general direction for a gaming convention and would always stop for some Yeungling on tap in good ole' Penn.

Cheers!

Absolutely. The black & tan is a great option for a cheap, quality, drinkable beer.

I obviously don't spend enough time looking at the label anymore, since it says right at the top of the label 'America's oldest brewery'. Lol.

I've never had the pleasure of trying it on tap, but I've been told it's 10x better. A friend of mine and his dad used to head in that general direction for a gaming convention and would always stop for some Yeungling on tap in good ole' Penn.

Cheers!
Yeungling was always a favorite when I was younger. It was the go to keg to get when the plan was to have a bonfire out in the woods.
In the bars back in PA it was a favorite as well. One of the neighborhood pubs would have it for 25 cents a glass on certain nights. After I joined the Navy whenever I went back to visit family I would bring a 24 pack back with me.

Back