The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Had a sip of Fireball. I see how people can get messed up on that. It’s like candy. Just figured I should see what all the hype is about. Kid stuff.

Next was a dram of High West Campfire. Of course the name sucked me in. The nose is menthol, green NyQuil and bit of green smoke. I dunno what the taste is, but it’s like it’s wanting to be smoky scotch, but bought the ingredients for scotch at the Dollar Tree. Glad I only got a small bottle and will try to get rid of it on ice in the future.

So finished the evening with Laphroaig Triple Wood so my mouth wouldn’t be sad.
Have you had fire water ? Its another cinnamon.
Also have you tried aftershock before ? Its pretty good too. Back when my wife and I still drank regularly we liked those and absinthe....among other drinks..Back when my wife and I used to go to conventions I carried around a flask of what got named the ambassadors blend that I made and tasted just like a nice fruity drink and you couldn't taste Any alcohol in it so after about the 3rd or 4th sip it would kick in and put you on your butt because it was loaded with alcohol....

Last edited:
Have you had fire water ? Its another cinnamon.
Also have you tried aftershock before ? Its pretty good too. Back when my wife and I still drank regularly we liked those and absinthe....among other drinks..Back when my wife and I used to go to conventions I carried around a flask of what got named the ambassadors blend that I made and tasted just like a nice fruity drink and you couldn't taste Any alcohol in it so after about the 3rd or 4th sip it would kick in and put you on your butt because it was loaded with alcohol....
Haven’t tried any of the others. Though I do remember when Aftershock came out when I was in college.

Decided we need to clean up some of our older bottles before they take a turn. Was worried about this one, but it’s held up well for its age. No bricking and just a touch of leather added to the fruit taste.
1282869C-B900-4AF3-8170-B8BC2B20135A.jpeg

Any Old Fashioned lovers? Thoughts on it vs just straight bourbon? Seems simple enough to make.
Little behind on this, but I make an old fashioned quite regularly. These are my personal preferences (of course, feel free to modify/disregard):

- I prefer an orange peel (as opposed to a slice) in the drink. Just a little flavor and not too sweet. Flame the orange peel for a cool effect (not sure if makes a flavor difference, but looks cool).
- A small slice of lemon peel really wakes up the drink. Twist and rub around the rim for extra flavor.
- Get luxardo cherries. They are expensive but worth it. They will also last awhile (unless you eat them all).

Happy mixing!

Little behind on this, but I make an old fashioned quite regularly. These are my personal preferences (of course, feel free to modify/disregard):

- I prefer an orange peel (as opposed to a slice) in the drink. Just a little flavor and not too sweet. Flame the orange peel for a cool effect (not sure if makes a flavor difference, but looks cool).
- A small slice of lemon peel really wakes up the drink. Twist and rub around the rim for extra flavor.
- Get luxardo cherries. They are expensive but worth it. They will also last awhile (unless you eat them all).

Happy mixing!
Thanks John! Fun to know!

I’ll try a standard first (though I couldn’t find the recommended sugar cubes...may have to mortar and pestle some regular granular sugar). The real trick for me with be figuring out the “dashes” of bitters and “expressing” the orange peel lol.

My wife took a look at our bottle of Baileys, so it's now up to me to finish it off over the next few days as it has a Best Before date of Dec.2019 🕺

Back