The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Second double Windsor and Ginger of the night. Started as my mixing whiskey in college since it was $12 for a handle and have been using it for my mixed drinks ever since!

fa78757b5acc188e633bb29cae30710c.jpg
What on earth is that Whisky? I don’t remember ever having seen that one...

What on earth is that Whisky? I don’t remember ever having seen that one...
Cheap blend out of ADL. Runs around $14 for a 1.75 here in the US. Not anything I'd drink neat, but I much prefer it to Canadian Club, Crown Royal or similar when it comes to mixing.

ADL doesn't export Alberta Premium to the States but last time I was in Quebec I brought 4 bottles home. The Premium is 100% rye and is excellent for mixing. Half decent neat and a nice value all around. Wish we could get it down here. Alberta Spring was the only age stated product that I can remember but I only had a dram at the hotel bar and don't remember being overly impressed.

Cheap blend out of ADL. Runs around $14 for a 1.75 here in the US. Not anything I'd drink neat, but I much prefer it to Canadian Club, Crown Royal or similar when it comes to mixing.

ADL doesn't export Alberta Premium to the States but last time I was in Quebec I brought 4 bottles home. The Premium is 100% rye and is excellent for mixing. Half decent neat and a nice value all around. Wish we could get it down here. Alberta Spring was the only age stated product that I can remember but I only had a dram at the hotel bar and don't remember being overly impressed.
We do sell it but I have never noticed it. Thanks for the info though. I have a bottle of 12 year old Canadian Club that was bottled in 1978 originally shipped in a decanter that I might just open at Christmas. I like Canadian Classic 12 as a cheap sipper neat.

We do sell it but I have never noticed it. Thanks for the info though. I have a bottle of 12 year old Canadian Club that was bottled in 1978 originally shipped in a decanter that I might just open at Christmas. I like Canadian Classic 12 as a cheap sipper neat.
That's awesome - you'll have to share a picture when you crack it open!

I haven't perused the Canadian shelves at our local store in a while since I've just grabbed Windsor as a default but it looks like CC has multiple age stated varieties (12 and 9 yr) as well as a CC 100% rye, all sub-$20 a bottle. I might have to give some of those a try...

That's awesome - you'll have to share a picture when you crack it open!

I haven't perused the Canadian shelves at our local store in a while since I've just grabbed Windsor as a default but it looks like CC has multiple age stated varieties (12 and 9 yr) as well as a CC 100% rye, all sub-$20 a bottle. I might have to give some of those a try...
I like the 12 because it is made to the old recipe. I am in the minority though. I do however not like ANY Crown Royal. LOL

At the moment it’s Naked Grouse during our post lunch online Pilates for our department off-site from home today. They can relax their way. I’ll relax mine.

Ed: What do you think of the Michter’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is quite good so far. Nice nose and some tasty caramel, vanilla and peppery oak on the finish. Lingers nicely. First Michter’s for me. I’ll give it a run again some time later on and make a decision.

Rough weekend and I finished off my bottle of Laphroaig Triple Wood. I can tell you 2 things:

#1 Laphroaig will always be in my "bar". It's really a couple of cupboards in the kitchen.

#2 There's always much more at the bottom of a bottle than there appears.

Rough weekend and I finished off my bottle of Laphroaig Triple Wood. I can tell you 2 things:

#1 Laphroaig will always be in my "bar". It's really a couple of cupboards in the kitchen.

#2 There's always much more at the bottom of a bottle than there appears.
#2 sounds intriguing...do tell...is it like Gin? Does the bottom of the bottle leave you on the stairs crying? :p

Back