The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

@NurseDave Weller Antique 107 is made by Buffalo Trace and is “Pre-Pappy” or it just didn’t make the cut. Both wheated recipes. But if you want premium you look up the cost of Pappy 15....never mind 20 or 23. That is the unicorn of Bourbon....

@NurseDave Weller Antique 107 is made by Buffalo Trace and is “Pre-Pappy” or it just didn’t make the cut. Both wheated recipes. But if you want premium you look up the cost of Pappy 15....never mind 20 or 23. That is the unicorn of Bourbon....
Oh, I’m aware. I think the Antique was around $75.

Oh, I’m aware. I think the Antique was around $75.
You have to find a different store....it costs $65 Canadian. We tax everything that’s fun in this country....how on earth is it $75 bucks? You should be getting 2 bottles for that coin!

You have to find a different store....it costs $65 Canadian. We tax everything that’s fun in this country....how on earth is it $75 bucks? You should be getting 2 bottles for that coin!

BT did take a price increase on OWA to $50, so $75 for a 750ml would still be secondary priced. Not as massive as I've seen it marked up in Chicagoland ($140+) but secondary regardless.

@Dave in KY is Kentucky messing with those boys North of the Mason Dixon? We don’t suffer from “secondary” pricing here in Ontario or Canada for that matter. You pay the “man” his taxes and buy it the approved Liquor or Beer place...there is one of each. You can buy beer in the super market or wine but it’s limited. If you sell as a citizen sell bottle of any bevy to anyone else...you have broken the law. We have dial a bottle but they are buying it from the man too. Though @Fightingillini22 charging $140 for a bottle of ANY Weller is a criminal offence in my book...sheesh!

@Somnos as someone who works in the industry, the complexity of America's liquor laws and tiered system as a result of prohibition can be mind boggling.

We legally have to have a tiered system. You have the liquor / beer suppliers, then the distributors, then the retailers. What you describe in Canada is what occurs in "control" states here in the USA, where the local state government is both the distributor and retailer. Prices are set, no funny business. Then there's "open" states where any liquor distributor can procure products from suppliers and sell to any retailer. Finally there are a bunch of complexities around franchise states, where legacy distributors have rights to be the sole distributor for certain brands across the state.

In control states you won't find the markup as the state is the retailer. In an open or franchise state, the retailer is free to charge what they want, leading to crazy prices if they're making a margin grab. The distributors can also play games to hold tightly allocated products like Weller, BTAC, Pappy, etc. over the retailers heads (I'll give you a case of OWA but you gotta take 50 cases of insert crap here)

@Fightingillini22 this is for its own thread...where your Canadian brethren will cry in sympathy. I must say your system is good from the perspective of variety on all fronts. If a whiskey is coming to the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) it is petitioned to do so. Meaning, there is a cap so we just don’t get to see all the goodies you have. Some Provinces have more variety than others but Ontario is pretty stingy.

Back