The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you anxiously waiting to be delivered ???

do you know where i could do some reading up on arks and echers to get an idea what the difference between the two stones are?
I'd visit Dan's Whetstone website to read up on Novaculite, but @BarberDave knows more than I on them as this is his preferred finisher and touchup if my memory serves. I'd recommend Coticule.be for honing on a coticule and any info you'd like to learn. As far as Eschers, its been a while since I looked up any new info on them, but the info I did learn was from a variety of sources. I think there was a tomonagora video that taught me a lot, but its been a long time. I'd recommend looking around on that one, I'd be happy to help with any additional info I can provide.

Anyone else?

do you know where i could do some reading up on arks and echers to get an idea what the difference between the two stones are?
I don't know a lot about echers, mostly because they seem to be harder to find (at a price point I will bite at), but they are typically considered a finer stone or at least one that is capable of very keen edges. I favor Coticules but will say I have found they can range in capability from one stone to another, so when you are looking at or reading about Coti's its worth noting that its not as simple as grabbing ANY coticule and getting the results you are expecting. coticule.be does have some good information and is a good source to learn about the different types/qualities of coticules. I have found, and many others will say the same, that a hard/surgical black ark is a good compliment to a coticule honed edge and great way to kick it up a notch. PERSONALLY, I have failed to learn how to use the various types of arks so I stick to the Surgical black (really hard black ark). I would recommend getting your arks from Dan's because his stuff (and his information) tend to be quality...the LAST think on earth you want to be doing is trying to lap flat a hard ark that you got cheap from some unknown place.

Whether its a Coticule, ark or echer the stone must be dead flat.

I don't know a lot about echers, mostly because they seem to be harder to find (at a price point I will bite at), but they are typically considered a finer stone or at least one that is capable of very keen edges. I favor Coticules but will say I have found they can range in capability from one stone to another, so when you are looking at or reading about Coti's its worth noting that its not as simple as grabbing ANY coticule and getting the results you are expecting. coticule.be does have some good information and is a good source to learn about the different types/qualities of coticules. I have found, and many others will say the same, that a hard/surgical black ark is a good compliment to a coticule honed edge and great way to kick it up a notch. PERSONALLY, I have failed to learn how to use the various types of arks so I stick to the Surgical black (really hard black ark). I would recommend getting your arks from Dan's because his stuff (and his information) tend to be quality...the LAST think on earth you want to be doing is trying to lap flat a hard ark that you got cheap from some unknown place.

Whether its a Coticule, ark or echer the stone must be dead flat.
do you have a website for dan's stones? i will check them out later on this evening. thanks again cbl!

down_the_rabbit_hole.jpg

200.gif

🤣

Last edited:
Back