The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What’s new to you?

This beautiful F. Fenny Tally-Ho showed up today from Winnipeg, Canada. I got really lucky on this one! The photos from the auction site were not great and it looked much more rough than it turned out to be. It has just a few minor pits on the back side of the blade and barely any rust to clean up. Im not going to unpin the tortoise scales, considering they are about 170-180 years old. I’ll use my fiberglass pin to clean the pivot and I’ll lightly oil the scales with Neatsfoot oil to bring them back to life.

She’s a 7/8+ Near wedge object and is very heavy. The etching used to say “Our very best quality.”

90BA1B23-58B5-4627-BE0C-B76205EC3E9C.jpeg
D5E0DBDE-B176-4E42-AED3-FFCB902CFD69.jpeg
609EB1C8-60D5-4CCF-8D20-8C235C939770.jpeg

This beautiful F. Fenny Tally-Ho showed up today from Winnipeg, Canada. I got really lucky on this one! The photos from the auction site were not great and it looked much more rough than it turned out to be. It has just a few minor pits on the back side of the blade and barely any rust to clean up. Im not going to unpin the tortoise scales, considering they are about 170-180 years old. I’ll use my fiberglass pin to clean the pivot and I’ll lightly oil the scales with Neatsfoot oil to bring them back to life.

She’s a 7/8+ Near wedge object and is very heavy. The etching used to say “Our very best quality.”

View attachment 86673
View attachment 86672
View attachment 86674
That’s a funny looking Essence! 🤔

View attachment 86673
View attachment 86672
View attachment 86674
That one has some great curves.

Nice find! Clear etching is always a plus. Tally Ho is still on my wish list, along with a Fili and Nice Japanese razor. ;)

Scored this Sheffield, Chinese razor. This was the one I've been waiting on 2 months.
Most of the blade is pretty clean for the age. Tip of the spine will need some sanding and the scales have a rough spot.
PXL_20220624_010754141~2.jpg

PXL_20220624_010819229~2.jpg

Nice find! Clear etching is always a plus. Tally Ho is still on my wish list, along with a Fili and Nice Japanese razor. ;)

Scored this Sheffield, Chinese razor. This was the one I've been waiting on 2 months.
Most of the blade is pretty clean for the age. Tip of the spine will need some sanding and the scales have a rough spot.
View attachment 86755

View attachment 86756
Thanks a lot Joshua! Keep watching for a filarmónica. The three I have in my collection were all sniped for well below the going rate. Granted they all needed some work when received. As for Japanese razors, I know little about them, but @Michael Phillip got me looking at them.... Also someday I want to score a Hayashi Diamond 8000 with purple scales, before @BarberDave (then I can sell it to him for an inflated price) JUST KIDDING!

These Sheffield "Chinese" razors a pretty darn cool. I know that at the time anything from the orient was all the rage, including furniture, art, and even razors. A similar fad took over in the early 1920's around Egyptian themed décor, but it doesn't seem to have translated to razors with the exception of Geneva Cutlery and some Wade and Butcher.

Not owning any "Chinese," razors I always wondered about them and would assume they were a quality build. My understanding is that they were basically all produced for the European market and were not exported to China/Orient. I thought I heard at one time that most of the symbols on these blades were nonsense "words," that were just for show. I could be wrong. This one will definitely clean up easily! Are you planning on leaving the scales as is, filling with epoxy and sanding, or replacing them?

Through gifts and then purchases, I was able to get plenty of the old Coate's creams to add fragrance to vintage soaps - and to use on their own - at least until I get too old to use soaps.
nfEv5wK.jpg

Thanks a lot Joshua! Keep watching for a filarmónica. The three I have in my collection were all sniped for well below the going rate. Granted they all needed some work when received. As for Japanese razors, I know little about them, but @Michael Phillip got me looking at them.... Also someday I want to score a Hayashi Diamond 8000 with purple scales, before @BarberDave (then I can sell it to him for an inflated price) JUST KIDDING!

These Sheffield "Chinese" razors a pretty darn cool. I know that at the time anything from the orient was all the rage, including furniture, art, and even razors. A similar fad took over in the early 1920's around Egyptian themed décor, but it doesn't seem to have translated to razors with the exception of Geneva Cutlery and some Wade and Butcher.

Not owning any "Chinese," razors I always wondered about them and would assume they were a quality build. My understanding is that they were basically all produced for the European market and were not exported to China/Orient. I thought I heard at one time that most of the symbols on these blades were nonsense "words," that were just for show. I could be wrong. This one will definitely clean up easily! Are you planning on leaving the scales as is, filling with epoxy and sanding, or replacing them?
Some are Klingon and some are characters they copied...or tried to copy. I saw a W&B not too long ago at a decent price, but half the characters were worn off so I didn't bid on it.

I would prefer to keep the scales. Epoxy doesn't really blend well with blond horn, but I would rather not dye them black. Maybe I should make a thumb notch. :D If I did make replacement scales I would try to copy the originals and reuse the hardware.
Not sure what I'll do, but it will probably be a while before I get to it anyway.

Some are Klingon and some are characters they copied...or tried to copy. I saw a W&B not too long ago at a decent price, but half the characters were worn off so I didn't bid on it.

I would prefer to keep the scales. Epoxy doesn't really blend well with blond horn, but I would rather not dye them black. Maybe I should make a thumb notch. :D If I did make replacement scales I would try to copy the originals and reuse the hardware.
Not sure what I'll do, but it will probably be a while before I get to it anyway.
Yeah, those scales show their age and they are beautiful. That scar adds a ton of character even though it could be seen as unsightly by some. I like ugly razors, so... Replacements with vintage hardware would be cool too.

"Not sure what I'll do, but it will probably be a while before I get to it anyway."
I feel this...
3/4 of my collection while waiting years to be cleaned and restored....

Back