The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What’s new to you?

1653506413367.jpeg

Three great frags - very pleased with these procurements…….

(1) Terre D’Herès Eau Givrée: I don’t know what the reviewers are saying that this is a complete departure from the Terre D’Herès base. The citrus is definitely brighter than the other releases (I have the EdP and the Eau Fraîche). But if you are familiar with Terre D’Herès - when you take your first sniff - even with a blind sniff - you would recognize the base. It doesn’t have vetiver (or at least it isn’t listed) and I can smell it. I really like the note of vetiver - but in heavy doses - for some reason I get a headache. This version isn’t as earthy but the woody notes does give it some depth. I would say though that if you already own the Terre D’Herès Eau Fraîche - which already has the brighter citrus notes then I would say skip this unless you are collecting all of them - but if you don’t have Eau Fraîche - it is being discontinued and I’d say go out and grab it - it is worth the retail price.

(2) Penhaligon’s Sartorial: What can I say - this is both a classic and a modern barbershop - I absolutely love this. While definitely not a dupe of it - I think you can recognize some similarities with Tom Ford Beau de Jour - so if you like that one - you’ll like this one I think.

(3) Penhaligon’s Blenheim: This is a citrus aromatic - almost Chypre-like except it doesn’t have labdanum……very bright and this is along the lines of my two of my Top 5 frags - Eau Sauvage and Pour Monsieur……….while this is more gentlemanly - it is definitely not dated. This is my favorite of the 3.

Oh, just got my notice that my Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne just arrived - banner frag day!

View attachment 84104

Three great frags - very pleased with these procurements…….

(1) Terre D’Herès Eau Givrée: I don’t know what the reviewers are saying that this is a complete departure from the Terre D’Herès base. The citrus is definitely brighter than the other releases (I have the EdP and the Eau Fraîche). But if you are familiar with Terre D’Herès - when you take your first sniff - even with a blind sniff - you would recognize the base. It doesn’t have vetiver (or at least it isn’t listed) and I can smell it. I really like the note of vetiver - but in heavy doses - for some reason I get a headache. This version isn’t as earthy but the woody notes does give it some depth. I would say though that if you already own the Terre D’Herès Eau Fraîche - which already has the brighter citrus notes then I would say skip this unless you are collecting all of them - but if you don’t have Eau Fraîche - it is being discontinued and I’d say go out and grab it - it is worth the retail price.

(2) Penhaligon’s Sartorial: What can I say - this is both a classic and a modern barbershop - I absolutely love this. While definitely not a dupe of it - I think you can recognize some similarities with Tom Ford Beau de Jour - so if you like that one - you’ll like this one I think.

(3) Penhaligon’s Blenheim: This is a citrus aromatic - almost Chypre-like except it doesn’t have labdanum……very bright and this is along the lines of my two of my Top 5 frags - Eau Sauvage and Pour Monsieur……….while this is more gentlemanly - it is definitely not dated. This is my favorite of the 3.

Oh, just got my notice that my Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne just arrived - banner frag day!
Are these your first Penhaligon's?

Anyone want to make a guess whether this next frag Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne is in my wheelhouse? 😂

1653508281435.png

1653508339212.jpeg

Ironically I had avoided this one, believe it or not…..I had gotten a 5 ml decant of the older version of this - which was called Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport (don’t ask me why the extra Sport)…….when I tried that one - on the dry down - I smelled a celery note - which kinda threw me and made it not to my liking. I looked it up on Fragrantica - and others said they smelled the same thing - so either I’m not crazy or we’re all crazy.

But this new one is Bam! Stuck the Landing…..my other favorite summer frag is Dior Homme Cologne - this is not duplicative, it has a little more depth than Dior - but this is a tomato tomahto thing - I think if you like the one - you’ll like both. They are not redundant so I recommend getting both.

There is a reason why Chanel is my favorite house. I do get bummed that there is virtually no way to get a discounted or gray market - but you do make up for it in the quality and packaging. That is not to say cheapies don’t bring great fragrances…..but every one of my Chanel frags - I can just tell it is made of quality juice. The packaging - even the invoice is provided in a top notch presentation. Very, Very happy with this one.

Anyone want to make a guess whether this next frag Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne is in my wheelhouse? 😂

View attachment 84105

View attachment 84106

Ironically I had avoided this one, believe it or not…..I had gotten a 5 ml decant of the older version of this - which was called Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport (don’t ask me why the extra Sport)…….when I tried that one - on the dry down - I smelled a celery note - which kinda threw me and made it not to my liking. I looked it up on Fragrantica - and others said they smelled the same thing - so either I’m not crazy or we’re all crazy.

But this new one is Bam! Stuck the Landing…..my other favorite summer frag is Dior Homme Cologne - this is not duplicative, it has a little more depth than Dior - but this is a tomato tomahto thing - I think if you like the one - you’ll like both. They are not redundant so I recommend getting both.

There is a reason why Chanel is my favorite house. I do get bummed that there is virtually no way to get a discounted or gray market - but you do make up for it in the quality and packaging. That is not to say cheapies don’t bring great fragrances…..but every one of my Chanel frags - I can just tell it is made of quality juice. The packaging - even the invoice is provided in a top notch presentation. Very, Very happy with this one.
Been looking at that myself.

Back