The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage Gillette DE Razor Passaround

Alright - 4 shaves done with the NEW LC loaded with a GSB across all my favorite products including CBL, Williams and Barbasol. All 4 shaves were phenomenal. Absolutely effortless shaves with near DFS status after a single pass, definitely there with 2. No irritation, perfect amount of feedback. This razor just seems to check ALL the right boxes for me. Think I prefer the LC slightly over the SC but both were great and I'm appalled at myself for not having them on my radar before.

Finally are the two Tech razors. I own a pre-war Canadian Tech, and am looking forward to directly comparing it against the US pre-war as well as the ball end. I've always read that some are able to pick up differences in aggressiveness on the different heads so we'll see if I can notice anything. Might have to do a direct head-to-head with different sides of my face...

NEW LC :cool:
I own a pre-war Canadian Tech, and am looking forward to directly comparing it against the US pre-war as well as the ball end. I've always read that some are able to pick up differences in aggressiveness on the different heads so we'll see if I can notice anything. Might have to do a direct head-to-head with different sides of my face...
Interested to hear your thoughts, I own(ed) one of each, though not at the same time. I could not tell a difference.

Watching KJ's video and timing better for me now so he talked me into it............

Alrighty I'm in!
1. gobucks5485- Complete
2. fhalden- Complete
3. Patelliott
4. Fightingillini22
5. Dave n KY

After quite a few side-by-side shaves with my Canadian Fat pre-war, the US Fat pre-war, and '57 ball end, I can confidently say that I personally cannot identify a difference in shave characteristics between pre vs post war or US vs Canadian. I had my wife swap pre-war heads onto the post-war ball end to see if I could correctly identify the two and although I had a 50/50 shot of getting it right, I got it wrong. 😂 Loaded up with a GSB, all 3 Tech razors provide excellent shaves that would be a fantastic place to start for those looking to get into vintage Gillette's. Everyone gravitates towards the Fatboy but Tech's are just great razors and, for the most part, not price gouged to death yet.

Thank you for organizing this passaround KJ. I never had the NEW razors on my radar before, mostly because I generally just don't love OC razors as much. But these two razors were absolutely phenomenal. It's revelations like this that make these passaround boxes so great.

1. gobucks5485- Complete
2. fhalden- Complete
3. Patelliott
4. Fightingillini22
5. Dave n KY
6. Fenster

Updating list:

1. gobucks5485- Complete
2. fhalden- Complete
3. Patelliott - Complete
4. Fightingillini22 - Complete, in transit to Dave
5. Dave n KY
6. Fenster

The Eagles have landed.......
Updating list:

1. gobucks5485- Complete
2. fhalden- Complete
3. Patelliott - Complete
4. Fightingillini22 - Complete
5. Dave n KY - In possession
6. Fenster - on deck

Thursday August 6, 2020
Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: Cadre Member Brush
Soap: CBL Club CBL
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Pierre Cardin

Set up chosen for the Old School Theme Shaves. The Vintage pass around razors came in yesterday. I was on and off the list as I've used or own nearly all the razors but kinda wanted to revisit one I owned in the past and sold. It was the New Short Comb. I can't remember why I decided to get rid of it but think it was because I was going to get a Long Comb since they are said to be smoother. I never did get one though. So timing worked out and I thought, jump back in on the pass and revisit the short comb as well as try the long comb. I chose to jump right to the long comb for my 1st shave and loaded a new Wizamet blade into it............................BIG MISTAKE...Not getting a long comb a loooonnnnngg time ago. This was smooth as the day is long and efficient for me too. This shave ranked way up there as I was chasing with it like never before which rewarded me with 2 little weepers (my fault) They sealed by shave end and I am glass smooth. Going to use this one some more but may try the short comb tomorrow. I will be looking for one of these "for sure and for certain" as the Amish would say. Maybe @Techichi will have one refinished in Nickel when I look (Hint hint Don) That's all for now. Have a Stellar Day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200805_200318614.jpg

Thursday August 6, 2020
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: Cadre Member Brush
Soap: CBL Club CBL
Aftershave 2: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Pierre Cardin

Set up chosen for the Old School Theme Shaves. The Vintage pass around razors came in yesterday. I was on and off the list as I've used or own nearly all the razors but kinda wanted to revisit one I owned in the past and sold. It was the New Short Comb. I can't remember why I decided to get rid of it but think it was because I was going to get a Long Comb since they are said to be smoother. I never did get one though. So timing worked out and I thought, jump back in on the pass and revisit the short comb as well as try the long comb. I chose to jump right to the long comb for my 1st shave and loaded a new Wizamet blade into it............................BIG MISTAKE...Not getting a long comb a loooonnnnngg time ago. This was smooth as the day is long and efficient for me too. This shave ranked way up there as I was chasing with it like never before which rewarded me with 2 little weepers (my fault) They sealed by shave end and I am glass smooth. Going to use this one some more but may try the short comb tomorrow. I will be looking for one of these "for sure and for certain" as the Amish would say. Maybe @Techichi will have one refinished in Nickel when I look (Hint hint Don) That's all for now. Have a Stellar Day Cadre !!!
View attachment 31825

Oh yeah, the New Long Comb is a must have. I just so happen to have one waiting to be replated. 😉

It may be a few weeks, but I'll PM you updates.

Friday August 7, 2020
Razor: Gillette New Short Comb
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: Shavemac Ebonite 2 Band Silvertip
Soap: Zingari Man The Blacksmith
Aftershave 2: Nivea Deep Comforting
Fragrance: BVLGARI Man in Black Essence

So up today was the Gillette New Short Comb. To me it was just as smooth as the Long Comb which if the head geometry is the same, I would expect. The only difference was the feel of the shorter comb not being as present while shaving. Honestly at 1 shave on each would be hard pressed to pick one over the other. Both were smooth and efficient and winners for me. Going to take a couple more shaves with these before getting them all off to @Fenster Have a FUN Day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200806_184229125.jpg
Saturday August 8, 2020
Blade: Wizamet (3)
Brush: Sorrentino Orange Crush
Soap: WK La Fougere Parfaite
Aftershave 2: Brut Splash
Fragrance: Brut Cologne

Old School Themed shave with Brut inspired by our own WMRK guru @MarkB Video Posted. Have a Swell Day Cadre !!
IMG_20200807_210326115.jpg

Back