The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage Gillette DE Razor Passaround

You can get 20 posts in a day right? That’s easy...... Go ahead and sign up.

Can probably get 20 posts in Don's new father thread - my little guy has been doing all kinds of crazy stuff recently!!

Anybody else want to try razors??

To sign up, please add your name to the list.
1. gobucks5485- Complete
2. fhalden- Complete
3. Patelliott

Alrighty I'm in!
1. gobucks5485- Complete
2. fhalden- Complete
3. Patelliott
4. Fightingillini22

Are you stuck in a rut of only using the latest and greatest new/artisan DE razors? Have you ever given vintage DE razors a try????......

3 Piece Razors
1920's Gillette Old Type
1930's Gillette Long Comb NEW
1930's Gillette Short Comb NEW
'38-'41 Gillette Early Tech
1957 Gillette Ball End Tech
YUMA

TTO Razors
40's Style Gillette Superspeed
1965 Gillette Flare Tip Superspeed
1985 Gillette Black Handled Superspeed
1960 Gillette Fatboy Adjustable
1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable
1960's Schick Krona

I love my vintage razors. I've got 3 Techs and a Krona. I have several Shiny new razors that hardly get played with because those vintage razors are so amazing. They really made great razors back then. This looks like one heck of a pass around. I hope everyone can see why we love the classics.

I love my vintage razors. I've got 3 Techs and a Krona. I have several Shiny new razors that hardly get played with because those vintage razors are so amazing. They really made great razors back then. This looks like one heck of a pass around. I hope everyone can see why we love the classics.
I completely agree, vintage is fantastic!

Vintage! Pretty much all I use, it just makes sense economically at the very least. I've only used a couple of modern high end DE's loaned from friends and they felt quite heavy to me I prefer the weight of vintage razors as well.

The Schick Krona hasn't been on my radar, but after all the top ratings here, it is now.

Oh wow, I didn’t even realize @Patelliott was done with them.

So Pat, what was your impression of the razors? Any winners in there for you?

@Spider I definitely want the NEW Short OC. To me that was the closest and smoothest razor. The NEW Long OC was also very nice. I felt that it was a little better than the OLD OC, but not smoother than the Short OC.
The Ball End Tech was another razor I enjoyed. I may get one if the price is too good to pass up, but I feel that it is quite similar to the GC .68 which I currently have heading my way.
The Slim was another razor that if I find a steal I will buy it. I like the longer handle, but to me the Slim requires a little more pressure which always leads to irritation.
The last razor I tried was the YUMA because I had to. Very very neat little razor, but the short handle and light weight made it difficult for me to get a close comfortable shave. That razor is absolutely perfect for travel though and may get purchased for that reason alone.

Thank you KJ for putting this together and allowing us to try these razors! It was a lot of fun and now I know which razors I really want and which ones I can wait on.

@Spider I definitely want the NEW Short OC. To me that was the closest and smoothest razor. The NEW Long OC was also very nice. I felt that it was a little better than the OLD OC, but not smoother than the Short OC.
The Ball End Tech was another razor I enjoyed. I may get one if the price is too good to pass up, but I feel that it is quite similar to the GC .68 which I currently have heading my way.
The Slim was another razor that if I find a steal I will buy it. I like the longer handle, but to me the Slim requires a little more pressure which always leads to irritation.
The last razor I tried was the YUMA because I had to. Very very neat little razor, but the short handle and light weight made it difficult for me to get a close comfortable shave. That razor is absolutely perfect for travel though and may get purchased for that reason alone.

Thank you KJ for putting this together and allowing us to try these razors! It was a lot of fun and now I know which razors I really want and which ones I can wait on.
Pat so where did you find a game-changer .68 available?

Nice write up. I agree with you, I find the NEW SC a bit smoother than the NEW LC. And the Tech is, IMHO, a great smooth shaver & needs to be in everyone’s den.

A quick update of the couple razors I've tried so far.

Started off with the Old type. I have used one before but it's been many years. I didn't like it then, and I'm still not a huge fan now. Seems that no matter my blade, soap, or even experience level, I get an uncomfortable shave with the Old. Minimal irritation and no cuts or anything, but the shaves themselves are just not that enjoyable. Too much feedback for my liking.

I've never used a New before this passaround so I was very excited that both a LC and SC were included!

I have 3 shaves under my belt with the SC so far and I'm loving it. Highly efficient but much more comfortable shaves compared to the Old type. Put a Silver Blue in it this morning and WOW! First couple shaves were good but this shave was next level amazing!

Yep, the NEW's sure are nice razors & smooth shavers. Play around with the angle to see if steep or shallow works better for you. I generally try several angles when trying out a razor. I've been surprised some really prefer one or the other. The Old Type is one where a steep angle works better for me. It gives a lot more audible feedback, but the shave is more comfortable.

Yep, the NEW's sure are nice razors & smooth shavers
....say practically everyone but me. I hate them. Never get a good shave from them. I find them super aggressive and almost always get cut by them.

....say practically everyone but me. I hate them. Never get a good shave from them. I find them super aggressive and almost always get cut by them.
That's too bad they don't work for you. There's probably not any razor that works well for everyone. The NEW SC & LC aren't my favorite Gillettes, but they might crack my top 10.

I find them both to be somewhat agressive, with the LC being more so. I definitely handle them both with care, but I do like the quality of the shaves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yep, the NEW's sure are nice razors & smooth shavers. Play around with the angle to see if steep or shallow works better for you. I generally try several angles when trying out a razor. I've been surprised some really prefer one or the other. The Old Type is one where a steep angle works better for me. It gives a lot more audible feedback, but the shave is more comfortable.

Yes I've learned that too. It doesn't feel like any angle really makes the shave comfortable but I'll probably give it one more try with a GSB before sending them all home.

That's how I feel with the Old Type.

Final shave with the SC this morning, this time with my beloved Barbasol. Fantastic and close shave just like with all my normal soaps and creams. This is a great vintage Gillette I had never considered but now ranks up there as one of the better vintage Gillette's IMHO.

Tomorrow I'll be loading up the LC with a new GSB and seeing how I like it. If it's anything like the performance of the SC I'm in for a treat!

A NEW LC has basically replaced all my razors. Just goes to show we is all different!

You notice I avoided the werd WEIRD! Lol

Back