The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage Gillette DE Razor Passaround

Quick Update :
I have used the 1964 Slim Adjustable for my past 2 shaves. I am not sure why, but I really wanted to like this razor. Unfortunately, I don’t think this one is for me. The first day I was all over the map as far as settings, started at 5, then went to 7 and 9, then back to 1 and 3. The second shave I set it to 3 for the entire shave. While I achieved good shaves both days, I experienced a little more irritation than normal. To me it has a fair amount of blade feel and I think I was getting some blade chatter. I am certain with more practice and maybe trying different blades I good dial this in a little better, but as I said, I don’t think this one is for me. On to the next one...

Updating list:

1. gobucks5485- Complete
2. fhalden- Complete
3. Patelliott - Complete
4. Fightingillini22 - Complete
5. Dave n KY - complete
6. ShawnF - complete
7. Fenster - complete
8. Calm_Shaver - In Possession

Sorry forgot to update my part. I shipped the package out a couple weeks ago to Calm_Shaver.

The razors I was most interested in (and wanted to like) were the adjustables, but I seemed to get a better shave with the techs, I really liked the 1957 Gillette Ball End Tech, it was my favorite. I also got a very nice shave from the 1960's Schick Krona, but it had a little more audible feedback than I like, I prefer a quieter razor. Glad I got in on this pass, it was nice to compare them side by side.

Yes, Update so far :

Tried the Fatboy and Slim so far, and really enjoyed the Fatboy. I had 4 awesome shaves. I’m so glad I tried the Slim as I didn’t get along with it at all. I tried the Slim 3 times. Next up are the 3 piece Gillettes l like Tech, Short Comb/Long Comb New and Old Type if I have time. Hopefully I don’t run out of time to try the rest out. Next shaves I’ll try each razor for 2 shaves. I had a very rough shave with Slim at full settings and needed 3 days to recover

Bit of grave digging here, but @Spider this was a super fun pass around that I thought about again as I was pursuing eBay looking for a New LC to add to my collection. Don't seem to be quite as readily available as they once were. Sigh.

That's where the value of these types of threads come, though. I didn't have the Gillette New razors on my radar before participating - now I've been hunting for the better part of 6 months!

Bit of grave digging here, but @Spider this was a super fun pass around that I thought about again as I was pursuing eBay looking for a New LC to add to my collection. Don't seem to be quite as readily available as they once were. Sigh.

That's where the value of these types of threads come, though. I didn't have the Gillette New razors on my radar before participating - now I've been hunting for the better part of 6 months!
How picky are you, I see New LC razors listed right now on the bay, I can't link to active auctions.

Yeah, NEWs should be quite common.
The ones I've seen recently weren't in the best of shape with either crazy putting or bent teeth. I could always send a sad one to BRG for a replate but would always prefer to find a diamond in the rough.

Always some thrill in the chase!

There are quite a few listed right now with some ending in about 4 days with cases . From the quick look I took I found over a dozen ranging from very cheap to utterly stupid prices ..

The ones I've seen recently weren't in the best of shape with either crazy putting or bent teeth. I could always send a sad one to BRG for a replate but would always prefer to find a diamond in the rough.

Always some thrill in the chase!
Perfect plating is for sissies! :p The ones I saw were all straight, but dirty, just scrub with a toothbrush.

This one is there with not much time left.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Back