The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage Gillette DE Razor Passaround

The time has come to report on this exceptional pass around. Who ever receives this pass around is in for a special treat.
I decided instead of sending daily reports I would just split it in 2 parts.
Twist to open razors and 3 part razors.

I am done with using the 6 twist to open razors. View attachment 25873View attachment 25874

Those are not in order on the paper but in order of how I used them. (should have made it in order)
But as I think about it maybe you can match the razor for what it is? If you are a experienced wet shaver you should not have a problem. But if you are like me you might have a problem. I had to ask the spider man for help on a few?

I used a new blade daily on each and used the same brand so it would be consistent.
I do have to say EVERY shave was terrific.
But one razor stood out to me better then the rest?? And I asked the spider man how can I get a hold of this?? How much will this set me back because I have to save up and get this!!
And to my surprise he said it is the cheapest razor of them all!! He said I could buy one on ebay for 15 bucks shipped!! And I am talking about the:
1960's Schick Krona!! Terrific shave with a nice solid long handle!!
All the rest were great and none deserve to be rated the worst so I will say a tie 2-6 with all of them.

Ok now I am on the the 3 piece razors and will report after I am done. (that little one YUMA is very inserting??

GO BUCKS!!
So @gobucks5485 , did you end up buying a Krona?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ok it is over sorry delayed a few days to post.
So phase 2 was the 3 piece razors. I will say as a group I liked the twist to open razors more? Curious what other opinions are in the group?
I am not a $ razor person and to be honest I have tried about 4 different razors before this. So this was both a treat and a learning experience!!
Of the 6 I would say I did like both Comb NEW razors best. And easily my least favorite was the YUMA razor. The Yuma was for one too small and also seemed very rough?
So in all the winner to me was the Krona!! and in last was the tiny Yuma.

So now is time to send it off to flalden, You will be in for a treat.
Special thanks to spider for the joy in trying all these razors.
And added thanks to mrdoug who was aware of my appreciation for the Krona and reached out to generously send me one.
This forum is the best out there. I have had communicated to some of the kindest people I have known.
Thanks to all.
20200609_162111[1].jpg

I'm very excited to give these razors a go! I'm especially interested in the Krona. It's a razor I've always wanted to try!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yes I am no razor expert i would take what I say with a grain of salt.
You are more of a expert then I ever will be.
I'll give you that it's light... super crazy light. And as a result you do have to apply pressure to get it to work. Which goes against everything you're taught about DE shaving. And if you don't apply enough pressure, it could be draggy and get caught up on your whiskers. Maybe that's what you were feeling? Or not, YMMV and all.

I'll give you that it's light... super crazy light. And as a result you do have to apply pressure to get it to work. Which goes against everything you're taught about DE shaving. And if you don't apply enough pressure, it could be draggy and get caught up on your whiskers. Maybe that's what you were feeling? Or not, YMMV and all.
you nailed on the head big time.
Thanks for the advice

I received the razors this morning. Unfortunately I had already shaved, so I'll dig into them starting tomorrow!

Well, I've had the opportunity to try out the three razors in the collection I don't own and have never tried before. Thanks so much @Spider for the opportunity. @Patelliott, I'll be DMing you presently to get your address. I'm going to use the slim over the weekend, and I'll mail the collection to you on Monday. Of the three that I tried, I'm in love with the Krona - I went ahead and bought one that arrived yesterday, and I'm going to get a Fat Boy next month. It's been great getting to try out these razors!

I've always been sort of iffy on TTO razors because my Superspeed chatters, and I did get that with the slim, but the Fatboy was really great and shaved me smoothly to a comfortable BBS both times I used it. I plan on getting one next month. But I can't say enough about the Krona! The weight, the smoothness, the balance, all are superb. No sooner had I finished, than I went on eBay and bought one for $25. It arrived yesterday, and is in great condition. I can see myself using it very regularly. The Fat Boy will also see regular use, even though I'll probably keep it on setting 9, as I like a little aggression in my razors. What a passaround! I've long wanted to try these three razors, and I really appreciate Spider giving me the opportunity. Thank you so much! Patelliott, you've got a bunch of treats heading to you next week!

I've always been sort of iffy on TTO razors because my Superspeed chatters, and I did get that with the slim, but the Fatboy was really great and shaved me smoothly to a comfortable BBS both times I used it. I plan on getting one next month. But I can't say enough about the Krona! The weight, the smoothness, the balance, all are superb. No sooner had I finished, than I went on eBay and bought one for $25. It arrived yesterday, and is in great condition. I can see myself using it very regularly. The Fat Boy will also see regular use, even though I'll probably keep it on setting 9, as I like a little aggression in my razors. What a passaround! I've long wanted to try these three razors, and I really appreciate Spider giving me the opportunity. Thank you so much! Patelliott, you've got a bunch of treats heading to you next week!

Correct me if I'm wrong @Spider ...

If the Fatboy is anything like the slim, it has the adjustment bars at the edge of the razor which should provide the blade more rigidity than a Slim. Ala, less chatter.
4efa073b4a783f78eeb6c08aa3883d92.jpg

Have too many things coming and going lately. I'll step out of this one. Thanks for sponsoring it KJ

To sign up, please add your name to the list.
1.gobucks5485
2.fhalden
3.Patelliott
4.Dave in KY

Correct me if I'm wrong @Spider ...

If the Fatboy is anything like the slim, it has the adjustment bars at the edge of the razor which should provide the blade more rigidity than a Slim. Ala, less chatter.
4efa073b4a783f78eeb6c08aa3883d92.jpg

To my knowledge, the Fatboy and Slim are identical in mechanism, varied in dimensions and handle design.

Fatboy:
image.jpgSlim:
image.jpg

Which is weird, because the Krona isn't aggressive at all!
I agree. I guess, for me, I appreciate mild razors but prefer some aggression. I have a 50s Tech that I really enjoy, and it is a milder razor. But most days I'll go with a more agressive razor.

Back