The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ultimate Minimalist Competition

Smashing preconceived notions and opening minds… that’s what I’m all about!

I hadn't even considered how little Williams you need to get a nice, slick shave. You may have made it possible for my modest stockpile to actually last until 3017. What would @Spider do? Make it possible to live two lifetimes on only one type of shave soap.
Which is completely INSANE!!

Ok...so this morning I decided to see how the @Spider lives. And by "lives", I mean minimalist shave style. So I tried the technique that KJ is using for this challenge....just rubbed the puck on my wet face and did a brief hand lather....and whaa-laa!! A slick, smooth shave with next to no soap usage. It's, dare I say....genius!!! I'm now calling this technique The Spider Williams. I ask that this name be used reverently and as often as possible so that it gets normalized and also so that KJ can get either super humbled by it or get a massively inflated ego by it. I do feel bad that I wasted soap for the first 12 days of this challenge. Probably lost about 15-20 days worth of soap. And I was going super light on my brush and saving all my leftover lather. Still, I do think the Spider Williams is going to extend this puck by at least a few months. Amazing.

14 shaves in and doing fine. Every shave is BBS- in two passes and I am having no irritation problems.

One less on that I am taking away from this challenge is that face lathering does save a few minutes of time in the mornings. I am not sure I want to give up my lather bowl just yet, but face lathering is definitely an option going forward.

One lesson that I am taking away from this challenge is that face lathering does save a few minutes of time in the mornings.
I'm saving a full 10 minutes each morning now by using The Spider Williams method. No soap pre-prep, no brush pre-prep. No soap loading. No lather building. No lather bowl rinsing. No brush rinsing. Plus I'm thinking that vacations shaves will be less stuff to pack. It's a whole new minimalist world out here.

I'm saving a full 10 minutes each morning now by using The Spider Williams method. No soap pre-prep, no brush pre-prep. No soap loading. No lather building. No lather bowl rinsing. No brush rinsing. Plus I'm thinking that vacations shaves will be less stuff to pack. It's a whole new minimalist world out here.
And a whole new level of boredom. You illustrate why folks turn to Edge gel and carts. Get this man some CEC help stat @Scuttlesoap

I am not sure I want to give up my lather bowl just yet, but face lathering is definitely an option going forward.
I bowl lathered for the first 6 months, then I learned face lathering. It was a game changer to me. I got better lather and better shaves, plus saved a little bit of time.

Get this man some CEC help stat @Scuttlesoap

Reporting for duty, sir. Alright, listen up. A significant part of this hobby is the thrill of acquisition. Have you tingled with anticipation waiting for the arrival of an item? Or sighed relief with on-time-delivery? And opening the package, have joyful tears not welled up in your eyes? Let’s remember too, using the new item for the first time. Did not your chest swell with pride as large as a whiskey barrel? Alright, you know what you got to do. Now get out there and buy… Buy… BUY.!

Happy to be of service, sir. 🫡😂

I'm still not sure why you need more than 1 pass. What are you doing wrong the first 2 passes? Come on guys.....
Have you looked in the mirror? Gentlemen do not look like hobos DSBBS forever

Back