The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ultimate Minimalist Competition

I think the blade would be the challenge for most. I got 60 days with a puck of Williams, with normal use. 100 seems fairly easy without too much effort. Most people don't routinely get 30+ shaves off a blade. (Although I think most who signed up do)
I was able to get 70+ shaves on the last GSB....so it's not that far to 100 for me. It's the soap that makes me pull up short. I'm worried I'll get to the mid 80's and it will be a mighty thin puck at that point. I'll be stretching that last 15-20 shaves worth of Williams.

I think the blade would be the challenge for most. I got 60 days with a puck of Williams, with normal use. 100 seems fairly easy without too much effort. Most people don't routinely get 30+ shaves off a blade. (Although I think most who signed up do)
I will admit to being an outlier. I have taken several blades to around 30 shaves. It shouldn't be a huge deal to take one to 100. But, loading just enough product to get a great shave while still getting it last for 100 could be more difficult for me. I own so much soap that most of the time I don't care as long as the lather is thick and slick. It is a mental shift for me.

I’ll try to do a video this weekend to show you guys what I’m doing.

Most people don't routinely get 30+ shaves off a blade. (Although I think most who signed up do)
Most of my DEs just have a blade in them that was put there..."sometime ago"...which typically is 30+ shaves before they go away. If you stop thinking about counting, and just shave until the blade says "no more" most people would get more out of them.

If you stop thinking about counting, and just shave until the blade says "no more" most people would get more out of them.
thank-you-praise.gif

Probably the one thing that that bothers me the most about other's habits, is the X number of shaves and done. Arbitrarily tossing a blade after so many shaves just because that how you've always done it makes no sense to me. I get it, blades are cheap, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get as much usefulness out of it before throwing it away.

Can we get odds on who’s going to last? I think @OpusX has a jump start - solely on the cool die he has to keep track. Of course, it is a sphere - so that adds an element of danger to the tracking portion of it 😂

Just wanted you guys to know - that while I admire your tenacity and frugality, that I, Scuttlesoap, will ensure that this does not impact the razor blade economy. And, as such, will purchase a bunch of 100 packs to make sure we don’t have a razor blade recession. You’re Welcome.

1675449687104.gif

Can we get odds on who’s going to last?
I think the people that change soaps every 24 hours (less if you're @Scuttlesoap ) are the ones most likely to stop after only a week or so. I feel I have the upper hand in that until a few short years ago....I only used this exact soap ..Every. Single. Day.

Changing it up as often as some of you is something I've struggled within the recent past.

until a few short years ago....I only used this exact soap ..Every. Single. Day.
So did I. I used a drugstore shave kit with an Atra razor and either Williams or I think the other one was Colgate, but usually the store stocked Williams. I can buy it in town for 99 cents, but it's not worth it to me. I used that setup for several years before drifting away to shaving gel. When I came back to wetshaving and added a DE to my routine, I vowed to not use inferior products. Especially in this day and age, with the explosion of artisans coming to the wetshaving market.

Have fun, gentlemen!

Back