The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

I'm still planning to get the head a new handle but i needed an axe fast so i can get those devil plants out of my yard so i ended up picking up a 4lb axe with a wood handle.(i mean, why not get a bigger one so i have options right?) This one should help a lot once i have a decent edge on it which i hope to do this weekend.

House Handles is so much cheaper than the hardware stores and they know how to make a good hickory handle. Most of what you see in the stores are seconds at best. Actually, it's best to find the lightest axe you can swing that gets the job done. Guys who make a living swinging an axe sometimes have axe heads that only way 2 3/4 pounds or at most 3 lbs. Like shaving, there's a technique to chopping and axe sharpness is more important than weight. I still haven't perfected the right techniques, but I'm learning. Something my Dad never taught me is that a safe axe is a sharp axe and that it should be honed and stropped before you put it away. You should be able to shave hair off your arm with an axe. In your case you are chopping into dirt I'm guessing at times so you wouldn't want a nice honed edge. Be careful though, you'll catch the axe bug and it's every bit as bad as shaving. I was just showing a friend my axes and he dug out a box of axe heads to show me. Now he's making handles, honing, and making sheaths for them......I enabled that :LOL:

House Handles is so much cheaper than the hardware stores and they know how to make a good hickory handle. Most of what you see in the stores are seconds at best. Actually, it's best to find the lightest axe you can swing that gets the job done. Guys who make a living swinging an axe sometimes have axe heads that only way 2 3/4 pounds or at most 3 lbs. Like shaving, there's a technique to chopping and axe sharpness is more important than weight. I still haven't perfected the right techniques, but I'm learning. Something my Dad never taught me is that a safe axe is a sharp axe and that it should be honed and stropped before you put it away. You should be able to shave hair off your arm with an axe. In your case you are chopping into dirt I'm guessing at times so you wouldn't want a nice honed edge. Be careful though, you'll catch the axe bug and it's every bit as bad as shaving. I was just showing a friend my axes and he dug out a box of axe heads to show me. Now he's making handles, honing, and making sheaths for them......I enabled that :LOL:
I like just about anything that has a blade to be honest. Always have. Its part of why I went right to SRs when I decided to try wet shaving.

Yeah I am currently chopping into the dirt some so I haven't put that sharp of an edge on the previous axe but I was keeping it closer to sharp than dull.

20200504_150716.jpg

Decided to shift my 3017 efforts to this soap. Gotta make room for that fancy new one.

Had a great shower and shave after sleeping in the hammock again. I switched it out for the camping hammock thats made from parachute type material. Its way more comfortable than the cotton net one. Had just enough time to get a pound of coffee roasted up and take care of the animals before heading out to work.

Had a great time watching @Smattayu try some new stuff with resin on the zoom call tonight. I really hope we can keep those going in some capacity even when thing are back to whatever normal ends up being. I really enjoy getting to hang with y'all.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Yesterday's shave
20200508_042349.jpg
4AM still sucks. Quick and easy shave to make up for a slow start.

Today's Shave
20200509_041937.jpg
Man I love this soap! Also my calendar reminded me this morning that 7 years ago today I began my wet shaving journey and bought my first SR. This isn't it but i thought it a fun stand in. Its about time to refresh the edge on this one. Shave was a bit harsh and not as close as I prefer.

My dragon got to move into his new home last night. This he decided to sleep as high up as possible.
20200508_205247.jpg

This is him today in the process of exploring
received_2853178708123183.jpeg

Back