The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

Welcome to Watch Wars.....the dime store edition.

I may not get any contestants today........in which case, the judges automatically win. (we do have a plastic Obi-wan watch so we qualify)

Lets see if anyone is willing to step down a dozen notches for this round:

Oh.....Dave....of the Grand Canyon state variety... dropped this entry:

1b3f33ac-87ac-4802-adcf-48bafc274a2f-jpeg.110345

This maybe the worst attempt at a cheap watch ever. Are you telling us you don't have a mickey mouse watch? And again with the lack of numbers??? You're killing me Smalls. I do like the band. At some point I may need to get me one of these bands. It looks uber comfortable. But that's a zero from the judges...

Next up is Dave.....of the Golden State variety....

586ce1f3-6a64-4424-be0b-ce0f2cf0b829-jpeg.110347

Hmmm........well, since he added the comment that I'm not the boss of him, I'll just have to prove him wrong. I'm not a fan of the colors on this watch. Again......his hidden Giants fan-ness is quite disturbing. You can try to say it's some other team color's but I'm not convinced. I do like the band but its baseballness is lending credence to the notion that this watch is a direct assault on my love of the Dodgers....and I won't have that.

A new contestant enters the ring...

It's Chad of the.....well....its just Chad.....we all know his brand of lunacy:

20230503_095948-jpg.110350

Now THAT is a cheap, plastic watch (its probably not but at least its on theme). The band is matchy matchy and that's cool. The face is extra complicated so seeing the numbers is a challenge....but that's still on theme. And when you add in the thick arm hair.......the day-glow watch stands out like a green plastic watch on a sasquatch.......so 10/10.

Up next is Ed.....of the arm tattoo variety:

0e70f8b5f4e2580035017a2afd80dcbd.jpg

I don't think this qualifies as a cheap plastic watch....It looks too nice to be in theme. And once again with that band (someone get Ed a leather band....sat!!) The face is a cool color so that gets some bonus points.

Here's our buddy, Rich, with his entry:

img_0313-jpeg.110352

Ok...this looks cheap. And we all know that Rich loves his legit watches. The band looks to be plastic and the wrong size for the watch and the face is very bland....again with the no numbers!! (at least chad's had numbers!). Rich never disappoints......well, except for yesterday with his lack of Bling.

Well, the judges have come back from their 3 martini lunch and it appears they have decided a winner.......

@Majorrich !!!!!

It was a tight contest but the judges felt that most competitors weren't even trying (and Chad's watch does look a bit less cheap than Rich's) so they originally went for only 2 martini's and had to drink the extra one to finally decide. Congrats to Rich

This puts Rich in the 2-timers club (no, that's not the one his wife DOESN'T want him to join) it's the one where he now has 2 victories (along with the 2 Dave's).

Join us tomorrow when the Theme is Roman Numerals (I'll get you so-and-so's to wear watches with numbers....so help me)

Welcome to Watch Wars.....the dime store edition.

I may not get any contestants today........in which case, the judges automatically win. (we do have a plastic Obi-wan watch so we qualify)

Lets see if anyone is willing to step down a dozen notches for this round:

Oh.....Dave....of the Grand Canyon state variety... dropped this entry:

1b3f33ac-87ac-4802-adcf-48bafc274a2f-jpeg.110345

This maybe the worst attempt at a cheap watch ever. Are you telling us you don't have a mickey mouse watch? And again with the lack of numbers??? You're killing me Smalls. I do like the band. At some point I may need to get me one of these bands. It looks uber comfortable. But that's a zero from the judges...

Next up is Dave.....of the Golden State variety....

586ce1f3-6a64-4424-be0b-ce0f2cf0b829-jpeg.110347

Hmmm........well, since he added the comment that I'm not the boss of him, I'll just have to prove him wrong. I'm not a fan of the colors on this watch. Again......his hidden Giants fan-ness is quite disturbing. You can try to say it's some other team color's but I'm not convinced. I do like the band but its baseballness is lending credence to the notion that this watch is a direct assault on my love of the Dodgers....and I won't have that.

A new contestant enters the ring...

It's Chad of the.....well....its just Chad.....we all know his brand of lunacy:

20230503_095948-jpg.110350

Now THAT is a cheap, plastic watch (its probably not but at least its on theme). The band is matchy matchy and that's cool. The face is extra complicated so seeing the numbers is a challenge....but that's still on theme. And when you add in the thick arm hair.......the day-glow watch stands out like a green plastic watch on a sasquatch.......so 10/10.

Up next is Ed.....of the arm tattoo variety:

0e70f8b5f4e2580035017a2afd80dcbd.jpg

I don't think this qualifies as a cheap plastic watch....It looks too nice to be in theme. And once again with that band (someone get Ed a leather band....sat!!) The face is a cool color so that gets some bonus points.

Here's our buddy, Rich, with his entry:

img_0313-jpeg.110352

Ok...this looks cheap. And we all know that Rich loves his legit watches. The band looks to be plastic and the wrong size for the watch and the face is very bland....again with the no numbers!! (at least chad's had numbers!). Rich never disappoints......well, except for yesterday with his lack of Bling.

Well, the judges have come back from their 3 martini lunch and it appears they have decided a winner.......

@Majorrich !!!!!

It was a tight contest but the judges felt that most competitors weren't even trying (and Chad's watch does look a bit less cheap than Rich's) so they originally went for only 2 martini's and had to drink the extra one to finally decide. Congrats to Rich

This puts Rich in the 2-timers club (no, that's not the one his wife DOESN'T want him to join) it's the one where he now has 2 victories (along with the 2 Dave's).

Join us tomorrow when the Theme is Roman Numerals (I'll get you so-and-so's to wear watches with numbers....so help me)
I do have a Mickey Mouse watch … $$$$ you said inexpensive and that was my cheapest one. You primadona game show hosts come into the Hallowed House of Horology and throw knuckles! Against a Skagen and an Armand Nicolet no less.. Heathen! How dare you sir!

Your time here is these hallowed halls may be limited by an unfortunate accident 🫵

Seeing as how I don’t speak Roman I had to go deep in the vault for this one.
903980C7-BA42-41EA-B1AB-2A5F339E2053.jpeg

Roman Numerals??? We don’t neeed nooo steeeenking Roman Numerals.. Probably the reason, uhh I don’t know, oh yeah! The fall of the Roman Empire. See what one little mistake in numbering can get you? 😜😜🏛️🧨

So… to echo @NurseDave from yesterday
“You ain’t the Caesar of me”. Unless you are bringing pizza

So a new one, and a Tourbillon from Tag Heuer.
Heuer 03

75491D01-EB76-4AAD-91C5-34ED40E30DB7.jpeg

Welcome to Ancient Watch Wars!! I am Emperor Stevenus.....the Judge-y. Many watches will enter my arena and only the lions will emerge victorious.......and one watch.

So let us see what the gods have brought for us....

Up first is Daveus Bay Areus:

903980c7-ba42-41ea-b1ab-2a5f339e2053-jpeg.110385

Ooooooo.....That looks lovely. We have several good things going on here to impress the citizens. First up, it's a Citizen (which I love) and it's got the moon phase so Luna will be appeased. It's got the Roman Numerals so all my subjects....or rather, citizens....will love it and the band is Matchy Matchy and that makes Emperors happy. Plus you can't help but see the watch with all that Manly, gladiatorial arm hair....This might be near impossible to beat. But the Emperor is a fair judge and he will continue with his assessments.

Next up is Daveus Arizonus:

75491d01-eb76-4aad-91c5-34ed40e30db7-jpeg.110396

Hmmmm...looks like the lions get an early snack. As another warrior stated "BZZZZZZ...Disqualified"

Our next warrior to enter the arena is Richus Majorus:

image-jpg.110397

Oh my.....very....um what's the word I'm looking for?

This is a fine piece......but the Emperor has many distractions....

Ok......I'm done being distracted.

Today's winner.....

@NurseDave !!!!
He's now our first 3-timer!!

Tomorrow's theme (oh, let's make this one easy for the complainers) Your oldest watch.

Well oldest watch could mean a few things. I almost pulled another “you’re not the boss”, but decided to drop the mic instead. I brought two watches today. Yes, both are on my person.

We’ll start with this one which is a 1899 Elgin given to my great grandfather when he graduated high school.
AEF95F61-F595-46F8-B9EC-D04945151631.jpeg

If that’s not old enough, this one is made out of the Muoionalusta meteorite which is the oldest known meteorite at 4.57 billion years old.
58865D1C-14C0-41F7-BB5A-C60246DE595C.jpeg

B215D7F8-80E9-4584-BABE-C5F455678A6B.gif

Back