The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Watch List

GearNoir

“The Disney Princess’s Apprentice”
(no not the terrorist kind!)

Though I only have a couple, I love watches!

Whether for the office, the hiking trip, the line of duty, or for going out with friends I think that every man (and lady too) should have at least one timepiece they can proudly wear and display, to compliment their style.

It could be a beater, could be a fitness accessory, could be high class snobbery; do you like it for its simplicity? The quality? The luxury? The convenience? The history?

...What are your favorite time pieces and why?

(don’t forget photos!)

I’ll start things off:

The work and play watch. My beater. It’s a Timex Ironman with quick release nylon strap. Has the basic sport each features like time, date, stopwatch, timer, multiple lap functions, alarms, etc. Water resistant to 100 meters. The battery when new supposedly lasts 10 years. I’ve had it a year so far. It’s taken plenty of licks and the plastic screen is scratched up, despite my general care, but it works like a champ!

My classic man watch. I don’t bring this one out as often anymore because of the next watch up. This was my first dress watch. It’s from a cheap knockoff company named Stauer, but it’s actually held up fairly well. I believe the model was called a “Noir” because of the black, embossed face. Surprisingly it is an “automatic” with gears and inner winding mechanism that works with your arm movement. Of course if you don’t wear it, you have to manually wind it. I’ve enjoyed it though! It does time, date, and Has a 24 hour time dial as well.

This is my new dress watch. I splurged a bit on this one a little over a year ago. It’s a Citizen “Blue Angel” AT watch. It is my first metal bracelet band. It has the Eco-Drive battery, sapphire glass, time and date are radio synced, it has a chronograph feature, multiple time zone control, water resistant to 200 meters, and is all stainless. It even has a slide rule lol, being an aviator watch style. I love this thing!

I love watches. Been thinking of getting a eco-drive.
I have a couple watches. Need to get new batteries for most of them.
Guess it’s time to thin the herd down.

This is basically my only watch. A Casio Wave Ceptor. This one is brand new and I bought it to replace my previous one that I’d had for about 10 years or more. I wear it 24/7. Love th fact that it is atomic and I never have to worry about setting the time.

I bought a cheap, but cool, manual watch a few years back. A Russian Vostok. It was novel at first, winding it up..... but that really isn’t for me.

Set it, and forget it..... that’s what I need in a watch!

I love watches. Been thinking of getting a eco-drive. \nI have a couple watches. Need to get new batteries for most of them. \nGuess it’s time to thin the herd down. \n
\n\nNice collection Bob! Was heavily considering a Suunto before I found the Citizen. It seems pretty cool as far as gadget watches go! I decided not to pay that much for things I’d largely never use though lol. I still hope to pick one up eventually.\n
This is basically my only watch. A Casio Wave Ceptor. This one is brand new and I bought it to replace my previous one that I’d had for about 10 years or more. I wear it 24/7. Love th fact that it is atomic and I never have to worry about setting the time.\n\n\n\nI bought a cheap, but cool, manual watch a few years back. A Russian Vostok. It was novel at first, winding it up..... but that really isn’t for me. \n\nSet it, and forget it..... that’s what I need in a watch!
\n\nSolid decision KJ! Another one I was looking at! Definitely built to last!

Ooooh baby, this is thread for me! I'll get out my collection when I get home!

Dang Dave, you’re a regular ol Dr. Strange with the collection! Nice!

Which is your favorite?

Heh, watches were my thing before cell phones took over. I was known for wearing different ones all the time to work when I did nursing on the floor. Sadly, I don’t wear one other than a Apple Watch from time to time. I do keep thinking I need to pull them out and start wearing them again.

This is one is probably my favorite, because on the rare occasions I wear one, this is usually it. But I do love skeleton watches as well.

I work in a public school one day a week much of the school year and I was trying to explain sometime to a bunch of teenagers and one of them asked what time it was. I replied that it was twenty to two. They all stared at me with bewilderment and not a one had any idea what I was talking about. What are they teaching in school now a days?
maxresdefault.jpg

Try giving them military time and watch their head explode
💥
So funny but soo sad.

I guess it isn't just American kids:

I work in a public school one day a week much of the school year and I was trying to explain sometime to a bunch of teenagers and one of them asked what time it was. I replied that it was twenty to two. They all stared at me with bewilderment and not a one had any idea what I was talking about. What are they teaching in school now a days?
maxresdefault.jpg
Well no wonder they looked at you funny...it’s 18 to 2. :p

Try giving them military time and watch their head explode
💥
I had the exact same thought... Also we did an escape room the other day. There was a girl in our group that was probably middle school age. She couldn't read the clues because they were in cursive. :eek:

All the school here teaches them is how to pass the test for the school to get it's funding bonus. I pulled both of my girls out of the highschool here because they weren't learning anything.

yeah. it's going to be interesting finding a good school for my kids in a couple years.

Hey that hobbyist badge looks good @ShawnF!

I work with the Air Force, so I work with a lot of "kids" younger than me. Age range is like 20-35, with a few outliers. It seems like nobody I know that is under 30 even owns a watch. They are always asking me what time it is. Man, I have worn a watch every day of my life since like 5th grade. I feel naked when I don't have it on, and you don't realize how many times you look at your watch, until you catch yourself looking at your blank wrist, over and over, when you don't have it on.

But a lot of time when I ask younger folks why they don't have a watch, they say they don't need one because they have their phone, and that is what they use to tell time. That never made sense to me, because taking your phone out of your pocket to check the time seemed like a lot of effort, when a quick glance at the wrist is so much more efficient. And at work, we can't have our cell phones, so most of the AF guys are without their reference, so that's why they are always asking me.

I have worn a watch most of my life but i got tired of breaking them(for some reason i am just hard on watches). Then a couple years ago my wife got me a smart watch. I wore that until the oils of my skin killed the leather band. Now i just need to search out a new band for it so i can wear it again.

Back