The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Gamer Thread

I've been plugging away at Witcher 3 on the Switch for about a month now. I have a PS4 but it rarely gets booted up these days as by the time the day is over, we're upstairs and it's much easier for me to grab the Switch and play in bed rather than endure the wrath of the wife if I was constantly downstairs :ROFLMAO:

Having a great time with Witcher 3 though. Through the base game and Heart of Stone, just made it to the last battle of Wine and Blood and will be sad when the main storylines are all over. Not that there's any lack of side quests in this game to keep me occupied for another 50+ hours!

Having become disgusted by the lack of decent, quality content lately in the CoD world and fed up with their inability to deal with cheaters in a timely manner…I’ve been getting into APEX Legends here and there. It’s growing on me! I still do miss the more tactical and team oriented experience of CoD though. APEX is more fast paced, do or die, action.

i have a few months left on my wow account but not reupping it, blizzard has gotten a bit to woke/sjw for me so im quiting. just the way i feel about it.
been playing a lot of warhammer pc games as of late. i mostly play pc games.

Continue to look forward to the day when I can introduce my son to gaming. I don't get around to it much these days, long gone are my PC gaming and Xbox Live bachelor times but the Switch continues to let me enjoy some gaming here and there while the wife watches something on TV. Picked up Hades last Black Friday and have put 75 or so hours into it the past year. Recently picked up Slay the Spire which was my first deck builder and enjoy it. Dicey Dungeons was cheap a few weeks ago and have already put 20 or so hours into that one too.

In an effort to break up our typical evening routine of putting our son to bed, having dinner, then vegging in front of the TV until bedtime, we've recently started playing board games every couple of nights. Thankfully our local library system started carrying board games for both kids and adults last year too, so it's a "free" way to try tons of them. We purchased Pan Am months ago and love that one. Have picked up Carcassonne, Love Letter, and Abandon All Artichokes from the library in the last couple weeks and all 3 have been hits, especially Love Letter. Abandon All Artichokes is my attempt to get my wife exposed to a deck builder style of game in a very light fashion, and she seemed to enjoy it. Keeping a running list of the ones we particularly enjoy.

In need of some help fellas.
Im an old guy who last enjoyed gaming when Zelda came out. Guessing that was the late 80s or early 90s. I also remember playing crash bandicoot? But that was in the days of smoking pot so I dont remember a lot of it. I got me a nice ultra wide monitor for christmas but my computer is a factory w10 unit. I bought it the day w10 came out. My stepdaughter came up with a controller i can plug into a usb port so now i thought id try to download and play a game or three.

I have no idea where to start. The games now seem to need special equipment on the computer and/or they seem very complex. Does anyone have any recommendations of games and/or where a safe place is to download them? Id like to try a few to see what I like before I go buying them. The old stuff like asteroids and pacman were what i played (and Pong came out in my early teens) But things have changed
A LOT!

Last edited:
In need of some help fellas.
Im an old guy who last enjoyed gaming when Zelda came out. Guessing that was the late 80s or early 90s. I also remember playing crash bandicoot? But that was in the days of smoking pot so I dont remember a lot of it. I got me a nice ultra wide monitor for christmas but my computer is a factory w10 unit. I bought it the day w10 came out. My stepdaughter came up with a controller i can plug into a usb port so now i thought id try to download and play a game or three.

I have no idea where to start. The games now seem to need special equipment on the computer and/or they seem very complex. Does anyone have any recommendations of games and/or where a safe place is to download them? Id like to try a few to see what I like before I go buying them. The old stuff like asteroids and pacman were what i played (and Pong came out in my early teens) But things have changed
A LOT!
If you are doing pc gaming get steam and look for sales. You can usually get games on there significiantly cheaper than you would if you were to go to a brick and mortor store. Gamming has kinda stagnated tho in my humble opinion. theres not a lot of great games really coming out like there were in the 90's. you could check out the switch if you liked zelda. they have one zelda game for it and a new one is in development and they just released a new metroid game, i believe metroid prime 4 is in deveolopment as well. as far as upcoming pc games go the only thing im really forward to right know is 40k space marine 2 and 40k daemonhunters. i havent seen a lot lately that has piqued my interest as far as gaming goes unfortenatly

I’d agree with looking into a console like the Switch. Lots of fun games out, including many of the classics you’ll remember…some of them have even been remade for the current day’s graphics. This way you won’t have to worry about PC upgrades. That’s the one huge issue with PC gaming…your game rig becomes outdated really quickly, so you’re stuck looking for older games that may no longer have much support, instead of getting to enjoy newer stuff.

You can buy into services like @novicewetshaver mentions. Steam is a good one and has an extensive library, but again, it’s figuring out what your PC can handle. There’s even services where you can subscribe and rent a gaming rig that you can log into with your own older PC to play more up-to-date games. They do require really good internet though.

There’s also Emulators and ROMs you can play. Those are essentially older console games that folks have imported into computer programs for folks to play. It can be a bit of a grey area because some of it is still protected under license. So you’d have to look for an officially licensed Emulator and ROM deal.

Back