The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

^^^^
That right there is probably why my shoulder is wonked out. 😜

Aug.27: ASD2 w/Rapira SS(5) ............ Graydog silvertip .... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

No lakeside walk again today as I made the 6:30am executive decision that another skin splint recovery day was in order for my wife. We will see how she fares with a stroll tomorrow morning.

Now it's off to shoulder physio for me.

Today's workout was:
- 40 min elliptical

My brother sent me a pic of my niece’s special request birthday cake for her 18th last weekend.
1F8686B2-89B3-4A3C-A771-4D49BAC19CFA.jpeg

Now before you get all excited and think that my great brainy intellect, wonderful wit (and great looks!) got passed on to her.....

I'm crushed! 😢
1630108313782.png

Aug.28: ASD2 w/Rapira SS(6) ............ Graydog silvertip .... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

No (walking) workout at all today, but the garden beckons. My wife wanted an extra day for shin splint recovery (I wonder if that had anything to do with her staying up late to watch movies? :unsure: ) and I was late for my workout with mom due to us grocery shopping. When I called her, the lazy 84 year old said she already did a half hour on her own and wasn't going to do another 40 mins.

Today's workout was:
- *nada*

While out on my morning walk with my wife (more on that later), I was mulling over the sagacious pontification of one of the BaD Nurses regarding the difficulties I am having finding an agreeable whisky and I have come to a conclusion:
Once my whisky stock is gone, I shall buy no more.
Rooibos and other herbal teas will be my drink of choice. Guinness will still be consumed as well; that's medicine, you know.

Well, that’s much better than continuing to buy things that bring you no pleasure.
Someone's on a roll!!
1630248422895.png

Aug.29: ASD2 w/Rapira SS(7) ............ Graydog silvertip .... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

If it wasn't for the Nacet and the GSB, the Rapira SS would be a serviceable blade in the ASD2. Alas, I have used the Nacet and GSB, which means the Rapira SS isn't quite up to snuff. I do have a few other Rapira types to try out and will use them for a week each until they are done. Maybe one will surprise me, but the pink'n'blue SS was my favorite Rapira in other DEs.

We did manage to talk out lakeside walk this morning. Woohoo! When I asked if she was in any pain, she said no and then showed me how she was walking with super long strides periodically for a week before getting shin splints. Well, I think we solved that causation mystery. "Don't do that" was my advice to her.

Today's workout was:
- 1 hour lakeside walk
- 40 min elliptical

Aug.30: ASD2 w/Rapira Stainless(1) ... Paladin Sumo ......... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

Monday means that it's "new blade day!" when I use a DE, so I put in a Rapira Stainless to go through the week.
View attachment 1319672

A Paladin Sumo entered my den yesterday and, while I normally swap brushes at the start of the month, this went into use right away. As strangle as the handle looks and as large as it is, it is actually very comfortable to hold and use, even for a 5'8" 150lb old fart. The 26mm knot is VERY nice, loaded easily, and produced copious amounts of lather. There was about the same left over in the knot after shaving as with my 27mm Chubby 2 synthetic, so I wouldn't call it a lather hog. Time will tell if this is a keeper, but the first trial with it was very good .... outside of all the gooey lather smothering the handle while I was face lathering (not slippery even then).

Today's workout was:
- 40 min elliptical

Back