The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

woodpusher

TSC’s International Man of Meh
Some of you might be aware that, after a brief but joyful retirement of 2 years, SWMBO gave me the ultimatum of "Get a job or go to school!" as she didn't want my brain to turn to mush and so, I found myself taking Accounting in my 50's. That adventure is now near its end (last exam is April.18th) and then I can look forward to relaxing with a simple 40-hour workweek instead of the 60-70 hours of school/study/homework that I have putting in for the past 15 straight months (no summer break for me!).

As such, I hope to have time to chat about a few of the pleasures I have in life (excluding SWMBO, the love of my life.... even if she put an end to me relaxing at home! :p):
- Chess
- Our backyard garden and the wonderful tomato salads I look forward to every summer! (yum!)
- The morning ritual of killing whiskers

Congratulations on finishing schooling! Does this include the CPA exam? Certainly your mind can do that with one hand tied behind its back!

Some of you might be aware that, after a brief but joyful retirement of 2 years, SWMBO gave me the ultimatum of "Get a job or go to school!" as she didn't want my brain to turn to mush and so, I found myself taking Accounting in my 50's. That adventure is now near its end (last exam is April.18th) and then I can look forward to relaxing with a simple 40-hour workweek instead of the 60-70 hours of school/study/homework that I have putting in for the past 15 straight months (no summer break for me!).

As such, I hope to have time to chat about a few of the pleasures I have in life (excluding SWMBO, the love of my life.... even if she put an end to me relaxing at home! :p):
- Chess
- Our backyard garden and the wonderful tomato salads I look forward to every summer! (yum!)
- The morning ritual of killing whiskers
Congrats Sam, your retirement lasted a bit longer than mine and schooling in the 50's as well my exams ar the 28th of March and the 1st of April. Fun Fun Fun

Do you guys sweat the exams the same way the 20 somethings do?
yes....no....well maybe........Indeed, LOL, but the difference for me at this age is "Recall" LOL I know it is all in there somewhere, just have to sort through all the stuff to find it, LOL. As well as a more positive attitude

I started in a joint University/College program with an eye to the CPA, but after year-1, I did the number crunching and simply couldn't justify the extra $$ for the degree; the payback in number of years to work to earn back the difference simply wasn't there, unless I wanted to work until I was 70. Heck, I don't even really want to work now! 🤪

Hence, a 2-year diploma with be the outcome. Maybe I can earn $30kCDN a year. :unsure:

As for exams, they now call them "tests" so as to not stress out the young'uns.

Welcome to the journals and good luck on the exa... I mean tests. Lol. 4e 6f 70 65

Do you guys sweat the exams the same way the 20 somethings do?
Nope. I've seen enough in life that tests/exams don't bother me. Plus, if the kids see me nervous, then they've already doomed themselves in their own minds. So the best I can do for them is for me to remain calm and poised, and re-enforce to them that they are ready, prepared, and that I have faith in their ability to do well on the test.

Indeed, it is. I normally have about 20-25 ongoing, but a bunch of tournaments kicked off in the last 3 months, providing a nice flood of games

Thanks to a fellow Cadre member and the Yard Sale, I now have zero straights (or anything straight razor related) at home. In fact, my entire razor collection is now simply:
- Schick Hydro-magic I2 Injector (daily driver)
- Sensor
- Mach-3 (unused)

Back