The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

We have someone in our neighborhood that raises tortoises. If we call her, then she sends her daughter and they pull the dandelions for free to feed to the tortoises. Not sure they travel to Canada though
I have mentioned to my wife several times, usually early spring like now, that we should get a goat. Takes care of the weeds and she will get some num-nums in late fall.

ASTROTURF!
Don't laugh! When we go walking, there are 2 houses who have done exactly that. One is a townhouse who did their small front yard, while the other is a 50' lot that did their entire back yard. :rolleyes:

The main lawn section of the backyard is done. It didn't look as bad as the front yard pic above, but my wife spent over an hour on it yesterday and I spent 2 hours on it today. There's still more to do in the backyard, but this was the largest "section" as defined by our patio stones and walk. *whew*

May.04: Injector I2 w/Personna(9) ...... Graydog Horse ..... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

Aching all over from yesterday's weed pulling, which apparently uses different muscles than weights do. LOL

Today's workout was:
- 150' @150lb farmer's walk
- 3x8 @75lb bench press
- 3x8x2 @50lb dumbbell rows
- 35 mins on the elliptical

May.05: Injector I2 w/Personna(10) .... Graydog Horse ..... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

Even though I am still hurting from weeding, it looks like the rain might hold off today, so I will try to pull a couple of buckets of dandelions.

Today's workout was:
- 3x8 @75lb bench press

May.06: Injector I2 w/Personna(11) .... Graydog Horse ..... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

Pulled about a 5 gal bucket of dandelions yesterday and, since it is nice and sunny out today, I will look to do the same or more today.

Today's workout was:
- 3x8 @75lb bench press

Based on the population density and fertility rates of the dandelions, that would appear to be the target lawn* picture. :cautious:

I was doing some reading on dandelions and find they like compacted soil and have a love/hate relationship with calcium. The roots go deep for it, but once the upper soil reaches a certain level, they can’t grow there. Weird eh?

Here's Google-map's view which is dated a few years, as the development at the top of the pic is now complete.
3 x 5-gal buckets of dandelions have come out of the RED area and I think that maintenance of it should now be relatively easy. Up next is the rest of the backyard, starting with the triangle on the other side of the walkway. All together, the remainder of the back is about the same size of what has been done so far. It's the front yard that is the carpet of yellow and that should take a few weeks to work through.
1620314343944.png

Last edited:
Ya know, I've heard you can make a salad out of dandelions....
Yes, we also used to boil the leaves and have it like spinach greens when i was a young'un. My days of doing that are LONG gone.

About 4 hours work today (11:30am-4pm, with a break for lunch) and the back yard is done for the 1st go-round with weeding. A few blisters despite wearing gloves and my knees, hips, back and fingers are complaining loudly already. Now it is just a matter of yard upkeep. *whew*

Next stop, the forest'o'yellow that is the front yard .... but not today.

Last edited:
Back