The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Apr.30: Injector I2 w/Personna(5) ....... RV Shavemac ....... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

Same old, same old this morning ..... which is a good thing shavewise! Tomorrow, I will switch over to my @Graydog horsey brush for the month of May.

Today's workout was:
- 150' @150lb farmer's walk
- 3x8 @75lb bench press
- 3x8x2 @50lb dumbbell rows
- 35 mins on the elliptical

High wind gusts are knocking over my transplanted Rose of Sharon. Even putting supporting pegs is not working to keep them upright. I guess I'll have to prpperly stake and tie them in a bit .... or wait until tomorrow so there's less wind to fight while doing so.

Bought and planted a combination (the new word for "grafted") pear tree to replace our dead apple tree and got a GREAT scent as I walked by our plum tree, which is out in full bloom ..... ARKO!!!! @FarmerTan , you need to get to work in your garden and start a plum orchard! :love:
All my Stanley plums (which make DELICIOUS jellies!) had to be cut down and burned due to some kind of fungal infection. I was not a happy farmer that day!

And I've got a yellow delicious apple that I'm taking down for another fungus this weekend (?)...

May.01: Injector I2 w/Personna(6) ...... Graydog Horse ..... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

As expected, the Graydog Horsie delivers the goods.

Today's workout was:
- 3x8 @75lb bench press

The winds were pretty much gone this morning, so I replanted the fallen Rose of Sharon bushes (some ~7' tall) this morning. This afternoon, my wife and I sauntered around the neighbourhood for a 70 minute/~4 km walk, followed by 30 mins of pulling a bucket full of dandelions. The weeding did not make much of a visible difference, so I will now be pulling 2-4 buckets a day as part of my "relaxing outdoors" time. By November, most of them should be gone. :ROFLMAO:

May.02: Injector I2 w/Personna(7) ...... Graydog Horse ..... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

Rain, rain and more rain. Good for the garden!

Today's workout was:
- 3x8 @75lb bench press

May.03: Injector I2 w/Personna(8) ...... Graydog Horse ..... Soapy Bathman Tropical Lime ... Captain's Choice Lime balm

Even though the forecast shows rain all day, it's dry now, so I'll go do a couple buckets of dandelions.

Today's workout was:
- 3x8 @75lb bench press

I've been fighting dandelions for the last 2 years on our little quarter acre since it was obvious the turf was neglected for years and years. Now when I pull them, I spray a tiny amount of 2-4D down into the hole left just to hit any tap root still down there. Seems to be working well as this year was FAR better than the previous.

Alas, in 2009, Ontario banned most herbicides except for those which are basically iron-concentrates, which do not work very well at all for many weeds.
As I was typing out my 2-4D comment I actually thought I remembered that there were some laws around that up North. Ouch! Iron isn't going to do much for most anything in terms of an herbicide!

We have someone in our neighborhood that raises tortoises. If we call her, then she sends her daughter and they pull the dandelions for free to feed to the tortoises. Not sure they travel to Canada though

Back