The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

This is the first razor thay I have liked them in, Bruce. I used them years ago and got so many weepers from the whole tuck that I basically wrote them off as a harsh blade.
I did the same. There are, or were, two different manufacturing sites. One produced blades most seemed to like; the other produced blades that are widely panned. I forget which, but one comes in a black plastic dispenser; the other white.

I think the ones with black writing on the labels are German (good) and the blue writing ones are Indian (supposedly ... meh). I'm using the Germans but have two Indian ones to try as well.

Jan.27: ASD2 w/Wilkinson(3) .............. B&B Essential boar ... Nivea cream ......................... Nivea Cool Sensitive

You know, I look different in the mirror when shaving with glasses on.

I did the same. There are, or were, two different manufacturing sites. One produced blades most seemed to like; the other produced blades that are widely panned. I forget which, but one comes in a black plastic dispenser; the other white.
Long story short, there are two separate companies (though their paths intertwined somewhat in the 60’s, mergers, buyouts, and forced splits involved). The Wilkinson Swords that come in the black casing are a British company that is owned by Energizer (the bunny, they also own Schick). The black casing blades are made in Germany. The blue packaging which is owned by Gillette is manufactured in both India and China.

Jan.28: ASD2 w/Wilkinson(4) .............. B&B Essential boar ... Nivea cream ......................... Nivea Cool Sensitive

Switched over to bowl lathering for the first time in a LONG while. Twas a nice change, but I'm wondering where all the extra lather came from compared to when I face lather. Hmmm.

I think the ones with black writing on the labels are German (good) and the blue writing ones are Indian (supposedly ... meh). I'm using the Germans but have two Indian ones to try as well.

Jan.27: ASD2 w/Wilkinson(3) .............. B&B Essential boar ... Nivea cream ......................... Nivea Cool Sensitive

You know, I look different in the mirror when shaving with glasses on.
... :cautious:...you are correct. Sorry for the meh...if it says "Gillette Product" on the blade...it's from India.

I said "supposedly", Ed, as I have not yet used the Indian ones. Once I get through "One blade February," they are on deck.

Oh sorry about that...got that wrong. The Indian ones aren't bad but you may notice the difference. The cost however, makes up for the difference. You can can 100 Gillette Wilkinson Sword for under $9 CDN. German will cost you about $26...

Back