The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

giphy.gif

Dec.17: ASD2 w/Astra SS(4) ................ Yaqi Sagrada ........... Nivea cream ......................... Nivea Cool Sensitive

Another mediocre ho-hum shave with the Astra SS blade. Still, it will make it through its weekly duty. Neither of the Astras were great in the Feather for me, but the SP is better than the SS.

Second day of 45 mins on the elliptical. Sweating more but don't feel any more tired than when I was doing 33 mins.

Today is my wife's last workday for the year and I have also arranged not to work for the remainder of 2020 as well.
Note: This doesn't include have to fix stuff around the house.

Just in time for Christmas, the next Canadian Correspondence Chess Championship has kicked off. Unless previous years where we have had 8-12 participants, this year sees 24 entries, with 10 titled players. As a result, instead of a single event, the 2021 Championship will be broken into 2 stages, with 3 semi-final events of 8 players wash and the top two players (more, if tied) advancing to the finals. All sections, including the finals will be a double round-robin, menaing that you play two games against everyone else; one with white pieces and one with the black, for 14 concurrent games.

My section sees me rated a good bit ahead of the field, but that just means there's a lot of pressure to near-dominate the field. Should be fun!
1608329046038.png

Happy Friday!

Dec.19: ASD2 w/Astra SS(6) ................ Yaqi Sagrada ........... Nivea cream ......................... Nivea Cool Sensitive

One more shave on the Astra SS and then it's done. Being able to get 7 shaves out of it is something that I wasn't sure of around Wednesday/Thursday.

Dec.19: ASD2 w/Astra SS(6) ................ Yaqi Sagrada ........... Nivea cream ......................... Nivea Cool Sensitive

One more shave on the Astra SS and then it's done. Being able to get 7 shaves out of it is something that I wasn't sure of around Wednesday/Thursday.
I LOVE Astra SS! Someone on here (or at another place and time space continuem) gave me a bunch of those; he prefers the SP.
I could see that as a good blade for changing out weekly if a person shaved every day.

In many razors, I would agree that the Astras are good blades, but the Feather is a mild razor and they struggle to get the job fully done.

Outside of there being long line-ups outside of the two West Indian grocery stores we go to (we went hoem instead on waiting), today has been a good day so far. Amazon delivered my two Christmas chess books (one from mom and one from my wife) and also the kitchen faucet hose. Replacement was a breeze and I have now removed the catch-bucket from under the sink. Woot!

Doctor's appointment this morning for my annual checkup. The DRE is now gone the wayside and replaced fully by the FOBT, which I thought had gone away a few years ago. I should have offered to provide the sample on the spot, but I'm not a quick on the draw when dealing with doctor's as @Majorrich is. :ROFLMAO: In any event, since I don;t have any occult blood (not a member of any cult, as far as I know), I should have nothing to worry about. 🕺

As I did with our Thanksgiving turkey, I split our frozen bird in half using a heavy cleaver and the handle of a broken shovel. Wifey and I both liked how it worked the last time; tasted great and we were not "turkey'd out" by having too many leftovers.

Stay safe this holiday season, my friends.

Just received a small Christmas bag on our doorstep containing a card from my old workplace (based on the card, I think one of the VPs dropped it off) as well as two Christmas angel ornaments with sliver ribbons containing the name of our niece who passed away from Covid this summer. We'll make sure that one of them makes its way to her mom. An unexpected and deeply appreciated gesture from a company filled with good people.

Christmas was very good this year. My "I was a (relatively) good boy" loot included:
- 2 bags of Hawkins Cheezies
- 2 containers of Turtles chocolates
- 2 bars of soap
- 2 chess books

So in this Covid Christmas isolation, why was 2020's Christmas so nice?

I got to spend it with my wife 💃🕺:love: ....... and my Cadre family, of course. ;)
In this crazy, mixed-up year, that is huge in my book.

Just received a small Christmas bag on our doorstep containing a card from my old workplace (based on the card, I think one of the VPs dropped it off) as well as two Christmas angel ornaments with sliver ribbons containing the name of our niece who passed away from Covid this summer. We'll make sure that one of them makes its way to her mom. An unexpected and deeply appreciated gesture from a company filled with good people.
Super nice, Sam

Dec.27: ASD2 w/Bolzano(7) ................. Yaqi Sagrada ........... Nivea cream ......................... Nivea Cool Sensitive

This morning, I tried the @Spider 3 pass shave (NS, nose->ear, ear->nose) but alas, I think my scruff grows in directions that do not conform to the Spider School of Hair Growth Patterns (SSoHGP). I could shave again right now with a SN pass, but ... meh ... I'll wait until tomorrow morning.

Back