The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Except for the chemical scent, the Nivea cream is a winner. Face feels great and the lather was wonderful. I might have to revisit creams in 10 years when I get my current soap stockpile dwindled. Right now, I have a tube of Palmolive classic ( a great cream that I have 3017d way back in 2013) and a tube of Proraso Blue (courtesty of @Somnos), which I have snurdled :eek: sniffed but not yet used.

I actually quite like the Nivea Cream but the regular stuff more than the sensitive one which really does smell quite synthetic.

I am not sure if it is the Wilkie blade in the AS-D2 or the synthetic-smelling Nivea Protect & Care cream, but this week's shave have been among the best I can remember, especially on the neck. I'll find out on Monday if it's the blade, as it will be swapped out.

I am not sure if it is the Wilkie blade in the AS-D2 or the synthetic-smelling Nivea Protect & Care cream, but this week's shave have been among the best I can remember, especially on the neck. I'll find out on Monday if it's the blade, as it will be swapped out.
Now that a German WIlkie or an Indian Gillette Wilkie?

Do you find the Indian Wilkie to be noticeably different than the German? From what I have read, the Germans are supposed to be of higher quality.

In other news, I am almost at the end of my bottle of Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre AS. Since early April, I have used nothing but B&M's aftershaves, going through full bottles of Seville and Cologne Russe before this. I have my choice of four(4) to go with when the done later this week.
- Captain's Choice Lime balm
- Captain's Choice Venture balm
- Nivea Cool sensitive balm
- Tabac AS

As I am currently using the Nivea cream and the weather is getting chillier, I think that I will end up going with the Nivea balm.

Just over two weeks old and my van Dyke (goatee to most folks, circle beard to some others) has been given its marching orders by my wife this morning. I'll give it a few hours to pack things up, clear any outstanding bills, and to say its goodbye. It will be out of the house before lunch. A clean break without dragging things out is best.

I'm switching over to the Petrosian King's Indian system as white in my correspondence chess, moving away from the Mar del Plata variation (whether Nd7 or Ne8) to even further restrict the dynamic potential of black's play. Exciting stuff!

Well, okay, the Petrosian is more boring than the Mar del Plata. :sneaky:

Petrosian ............... ............... ............... ............... ............... ............... ............... ............... Mar del Plata
1.jpg
0.jpg

See? A WORLD of difference!

Do you find the Indian Wilkie to be noticeably different than the German? From what I have read, the Germans are supposed to be of higher quality.

In other news, I am almost at the end of my bottle of Barrister and Mann Le Grand Chypre AS. Since early April, I have used nothing but B&M's aftershaves, going through full bottles of Seville and Cologne Russe before this. I have my choice of four(4) to go with when the done later this week.
- Captain's Choice Lime balm
- Captain's Choice Venture balm
- Nivea Cool sensitive balm
- Tabac AS

As I am currently using the Nivea cream and the weather is getting chillier, I think that I will end up going with the Nivea balm.
I find the German ones are noticeably sharper and yes of higher quality. I get more shaves out of a German WIlkie but they are much more expensive than the Indian ones.

I'm switching over to the Petrosian King's Indian system as white in my correspondence chess, moving away from the Mar del Plata variation (whether Nd7 or Ne8) to even further restrict the dynamic potential of black's play. Exciting stuff!

Petrosian ............... ............... ............... ............... ............... ............... ............... ............... Mar del Plata
1.jpg
0.jpg

I can't wait till the next move!

1.jpg
0.jpg

D185D3B7-EF97-40AC-9E86-F8352F070C11.gif

Dec.11: Red Tip w/Astra SP(5) ............. Yaqi Sagrada ........... Nivea cream ......................... B&M Le Grand Chypre

For the first time since the Feather R2D2 ASD2 entered the house, I switched over to the Red Tip today as yesterday's shave (4th on an Asta SP) was slightly subpar. I'll be going back to the Feather tomorrow; the Red Tip left a few tiny weepers and my upper lip feels "tight."

I also finished off the last glugs of the B&M Le Grand Chypre aftershave, which means that tomorrow I start on the Nivea Cool sensitive balm, which should see me through a few months.
image.jpg

Back