The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

You have to fry it down, Bruce, after seeding it; leave the skin on. We simply use some oil and chop down some garlic and onion in the pan. You really can't use it as THE main veggie, as it is quite strong tasting. A few tablespoons per plate is how we eat it.

Here are the two main types (Chinese and Indian), which look quite different from each other.
1605899283523.png

We fry it until it is almost black and crispy, even more than in the picture. Rather than whole rings as shown here, we slice it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and then slice it for frying.
1605899938102.png

@woodpusher

Question about chess sets for a rookie? My grown son (38)... his wife texted and said he learned chess a year ago with drinking buddies. She was dishing ideas for Christmas and said he’d like a cool chess set, one to learn and play on. They have quasi expensive tastes like me. I searched the web for regulation chess sets and found them for $20-6,000 😳. Any general info/ recommendations you can provide will be helpful. I’m starting from zero 😬 Thanks @bosch

@woodpusher

Question about chess sets for a rookie? My grown son (38)... his wife texted and said he learned chess a year ago with drinking buddies. She was dishing ideas for Christmas and said he’d like a cool chess set, one to learn and play on. They have quasi expensive tastes like me. I searched the web for regulation chess sets and found them for $20-6,000 😳. Any general info/ recommendations you can provide will be helpful. I’m starting from zero 😬 Thanks @bosch

Certainly the lower end of the range is preferable 😉

I really don't know what he would consider a "cool" chess set to be. You can get chess sets in just about any theme.
View attachment 40799View attachment 40801

Here's what I use...
View attachment 40800

but I do also have a wood Staunton set and walnut board
View attachment 40803View attachment 40802

Perfect! Pretty hilarious too!! I checked House of Staunton, and those are the exact ones I was drawn to. Thanks so much!! He's currently enamored with chess due to The Queen's Gambit. I'm sure he's not the only one. I was drawn to the roll out vinyl "board" with regulation pieces. Thanks for helping me decide. (y)

This Canadian will use American Thanksgiving as another opportunity to feast.

We cut our turkey in half in October for the “real” Thanksgiving :p and are cooking the second half today. Normally we don’t do this but with Covid restrictions, it is just my wife and I ; family gets Zoomed and Facetimed.

My wife told me to do the stuffing however I wanted, so a half bulb of garlic and a hot pepper got incorporated.
D6901BA7-8D7B-4216-B8B3-8F253B17602B.jpeg

Since a half bird has no cavity, I made a stuffing nest out of foil and plopped a peeled and cored honey crisp apple on top.
E44D1E04-BFD5-403F-82D5-C165417472E4.jpeg

And now it’s ready for the oven.
E8D36BFC-C161-4942-A3B9-FF92D191B882.jpeg

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Used the Nivea shave cream for the first time today (forgot to update the software in the SOTD post :cautious:) and, except for the weird scent which reminds me of the Wilkie bowl soap, it was a GREAT shave. A little too much product, but I haven't used a cream in a while. I think I'll have the snurdle-size figured out in a few days.

Back