The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Yes indeed I really have enjoyed the Personna's I have tried in the AS-D2. Glad you are back to winning ways!

Random question. When you're starting a new game of chess, do even the first few moves take days or weeks, or since (I assume) there are basic opening strategies there could be a blazing 4-5 moves the first day?

Random question. When you're starting a new game of chess, do even the first few moves take days or weeks, or since (I assume) there are basic opening strategies there could be a blazing 4-5 moves the first day?
When a new correspondence tournament starts, I can spend several days per opponent reviewing their previous games to see if there is a certain opening that they lose more often with. Once that's done, play up to move 15 or so can sometimes often take place in about a week. It depends on whether they follow along with what you expected. Openeing theory is VERY well developed.

Exciting day from start to finish lined up:

Already accomplished!
- Wake up! (always a good thing!)
- Take out garbage
- Make coffee
- Read news
- Wake Wifey
- Make stovetop moka pot coffee
- shave
- bring in empty garbage containers
- debone some chicken

On schedule:
- eat lunch
- work on chess
- get flu shot (appt at 5:20)
- eat supper
- watch BBC World News
- Watch PBS Newshour
- play time with fellow Cadre members on Zoom!
- shower
- sleep

Gotta be a rough day ahead when making coffee is listed twice!

Yeah, I know. :eek:

I watch the local morning news, PBS Newshour and the NFL. Wouldn't want too much tele-tubbies taking away from my TSC-time, would we?
So coming back to television shows... I just saw that Netflix is releasing a new show about a chess in the Cold war. Hey, It's chess (hopefully, maybe... Probably done badly, lol).
708210a583aa65f33f72b55d3788c00c.jpg

The chess is actually REALLY good in the show. The "big games" are actually taken from real life encounters and then at a certain point, the show deviates..... with an IMPROVEMENT over what a GrandMaster played. As I was watching, I was often calling out the move about to be played and my wife just looked at me funny. :sneaky:

It's a pretty good show, but as I mentioned to my wife (to get her to watch it) that it's more about a flawed person than chess. Chess is just the setting.

The chess is actually REALLY good in the show. The "big games" are actually taken from real life encounters and then at a certain point, the show deviates..... with an IMPROVEMENT over what a GrandMaster played.

It's a pretty good show, but as I mentioned to my wife (to get her to watch it) that it's more about a flawed person than chess. Chess is just the setting.
Awesome. I should have known you would have seen it already, lol.

I need to check it out then. It has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes... That's impressive, imo.

Since it's just above freezing and the wife has been on my case about long flowing golden grey locks, I buzzed everything off with my Celebrity Clippers (courtesy of @BarberDave ), no guard and set as close as possible (but not 000-close).

Should be *ahem* comfortable for me when we go for a walk later. Brrrrr :eek:

Back