The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

Jan.04 Injector I2/Personna(4) ... Graydog silvertip ..... Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

Methinks that my Gillette Pure cream is coming down to its last legs with maybe a week left. While it lathered super easy (as most creams do), I still am aware of the chemical/cologne scent. Will it be a repurchase? Probably not, as I have so many soaps and creams that it's not funny.

A brisk below freezing morning out, which makes for some sunny skies (finally!). My post-workout shower'n'shave has me all prepped for afternoon bridge and evening chess.

Jan.05 Injector I2/Personna(5) ... Graydog silvertip ..... Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

Bridge was fun yesterday and I didn't get to play chess, as the Tournament Director was away so I took over those duties for the evening.

A sweaty elliptical workout this morning, as I alternate days between elliptical and push-up + sit-ups. My post-workout shower'n'shave was, as expected, a non nonsense, typical workman-like shave of unnoteworthy meh-ishly good awesomeness.

Jan.06 Injector I2/Personna(6) ... Graydog silvertip ..... Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

A chilly morning out with some light flurries, but it does not appear that we will be getting the dump of snow the the east coast will get. Maybe 5cm/2 inches through to Monday, which I would be fine with. Even better would be simple "trace snow" that dissolves under the sunlight.

This morning's shave was easy-peasy once again, as all components performed their duties without complaint.

It's been a while since I posted a correspondence chess update, so here goes...

The 2023 Canadian Championship is being run in two stages: 2 x semi-finals, with the top-3 of each advancing to the finals. I should have a win and a draw from my two remaining games, which will most likely be good enough to advance to the finals.
1704598679220.png

I am also playing in an ICCF SIM tournament. These are created from similar rated players and offer a shot a earning a norm for the SIM title. You need two "norms" to get the title and a SIM is a Senior International Master, which is above the International Master IM title but below the Grandmaster GM title. 64/78 games are drawn with no wins posted yet. With one game left for me, I will probably finish at either 6/12 or 6.5/12, failing to earn a norm in either case.
1704598785796.png

A third tournament I am in is an Invitational one from Germany. It has a slightly stronger field that the above SIM tnmt (a category-7 compared to the SIM's category-6). I will need 3 wins from my remaining 7 games to score a SIM norm. Highly unlikely IMO, but I'm tying.
1704599084309.png

Another tournament I am is, is the Semi-Finals for the "Rest of the World" (ROW, which basically means non-European) championship. Achieving a SIM norm is pretty much out of reach, as I need 4.5/5 in my remaining games, but the top-2 players advance to the next stage, so there is still something to shoot for.
1704599360105.png

The 2024 Canadian Championship also started on Jan.01. I'm surprised that one game has already finished!
1704599515935.png

There you go. That's what on my plate.

Jan.07 Injector I2/Personna(7) ... Graydog silvertip ..... Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

Less than an inch of snow on the driveway and sidewalk this morning, so it actually took more time to get dressed & undressed (coat, hat, boots, and gloves! .... not pants and shirt!) than it did to clean it up.

As that was such a light workout, I went into the basement for my workout afterwards and had a nice shower'n'shave afterwards.

Time now to settle down for some football with some Guinness.

Cheering on the Titans in the Bruce's Only-Fans section!

I see two U.S. players in the Canadian competition? How so?
Good eyes, Bruce!

The Canadian Correspondence Chess Association is over 100 years old and historically had VERY close ties with the US correspondence association (which has gone through several iterations with various organizations taking over as the national association). Our CCCA constitution currently allows US players to be full members of our association with all rights and privileges, but we're presently undertaking a review to modernize it in light of how the world body, the ICCF, deems domestic events that have players from other countries to be international events, which require all kinds of jumping through flaming hoops to get permission for.

Sam, forgot to congratulate you on the Giants’ big win today. It’s always good to mess up a division rival’s playoff standing. Kind of sucks for me, as I prefer Philly over Dallas. I don’t want Dallas or SF in the SB, because both have five Lombardi trophies, and I don’t want any other team to reach six. Bad enough the Pats did. Anyway, the Giants played very well today. Fun game to watch.

I had to "read" the game on nfl.com as it wasn't showing here.
Always good to beat Philly, but it's happened so rarely for us the past few years. There's a reason we suck! :rolleyes:

I had to "read" the game on nfl.com as it wasn't showing here.
Always good to beat Philly, but it's happened so rarely for us the past few years. There's a reason we suck! :rolleyes:
My DIL is originally from Long Island, and is a huge Giants’ fan. I actually used to watch them regularly from 1967-1970, when my family lived in Connecticut. We would watch the NY broadcast. It was during the brief tenure of Fran Tarkenton as their QB. They sucked then, too, but the games were entertaining nonetheless. Lots of passing and scrambling.

Back