The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

A fun day at bridge yesterday, even though there were only 5 of us. Chess was interesting, as I was given a lesson and lost in less than 25 moves. Oh well, such is life.
I thought bridge was a team game. Does it work with five people? Sounds like your chess club brought in a ringer!

Dec.16 Schick Xtreme3(7) ........... Eagle G2 ................. Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

1st Christmas get together done (last night) and the second is on deck for today! We just finished making giant Linzer cookies (12 instead of expected 24 yield) and getting ready to head out soon.

Oh, shave was an acceptable meh today as well!

Dec.17 Schick Xtreme3(8) ........... Graydog silvertip ..... Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

Yesterday at my brother's was good. Mom was over as well and we had a full post-meal adventure playing Telestrations for an hour or so. Lots of belly laughs at some of the pics folks were drawing.

Shaved just now after doing laundry and we're almost ready to head out for the final part of our 3 days of consecutive Christmas dinners.

Dec.18 Schick Xtreme3(9) ........... Eagle G2 ................. Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

Last night was fun at our friend's place. Haven't seen them since pre-Covid times, so it was great to get together once again. After being on the go for three days in a row, both my wife and I are looking forward to being able to stay home this evening ... unless we get invited out on a last-minute thing!

My shave this morning was #9 on the cart and, rather than go to my normal 10, I ditched it and will go with DE shave for the rest of the year. Yes, I know ... I can hear the celebration and jubilation from you all already!

Dec.19 37C/Astra SP(1) .............. Eagle G2 ................. Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

A nice shave this morning just before noon. Yes, as Tim/@MilkCrate would say, "Life is good!"

The 37C was broken out for duty along with an Astra SP blade and the Eagle G2. The cream and AS stayed constant, as they have for quite a while now. The joys of 3017ing make some things very easy to figure out.

Some light snow dusting the ground today, so not sure yet if we will venture out for a walk or not.

Dec.20 37C/Astra SP(2) .............. Eagle G2 ................. Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

Despite getting up at 6:30am to put out the garbage and gas up the car at Costco before the crowd hits, I somehow managed to shave at noon on this very last day of fall. Everything went well and I ended up with my typical "meh" shave.

Dec.21 37C/Astra SP(3) .............. Eagle G2 ................. Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

Two small dings right under the lip were enough to require the styptic pencil to be called into use for the first time in a long while. Other than that, everything was normal. So I guess this is once again a meh-shave. 🤷‍♂️

No no no, I’m going to have to overrule this shave. Two weepers, the use of styptic. We’re going throw out the Russian judge’s 9.5 and that drops this shave of the usual 5.000000 to a sad 4.1.

Dec.22 ASD2/Astra SP(1) ............ Eagle G2 ................. Gillette Pure cream ................. Clubman milk

Bridge and chess were fun yesterday. I got skunked in bridge scorewise while the other teams bid and made a small slam, vulnerable. Chess was good and after almost 3 hours we reached a R+P endgame and agreed to a draw when I was left with an h-pawn.

Up and out early this morning (everything is relative), with an pre-8am shave as we head over to a local diner from breakfast with two friends. This is very nice but has my still-sleepy wife lamenting, "Why did we agree to meet at 9am." LOL

Back