The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

I got held up at the border and was denied entry into my second-most favorite country. Something about "undesirable character," or some such nonsense. For background, in 1975 I smuggled fireworks and a case of LaBatt's Oktoberfest beer from Canada to Buffalo. It seems the long arm of the law reached out to me after all this time.
The enigma of Bruce wrapped in a Riddle..... or simply stated "A Navy Man":ROFLMAO:

Oct.16 Schick Xtreme3(2) ............ Eagle G2 ................. CBL Hombres ......................... Clubman milk

Monday is here and it's a glorious day, showing all is normal in the world .... i.e. my NY Giants lost again. LOL

A nice and simple shave once again today (this time post-workout! woot!) and the slime strip is dissipating. No long contrails of snail snot!
Slime Strip, Snail Snot Meh.... ewwwwwww

Oct.17 Schick Xtreme3(3) ............ Eagle G2 ................. CBL Hombres ......................... Clubman milk

A nice and sweaty workout this morning, followed by a very welcome shower'n'shave. The cart is a little tuggy when it initially meets whiskers, but after the first pass, all is well. The lube strip seems to have gone away for the most part. making rinsing and shaving as easy as it is supposed to be. i.e. No long 3-6" contrails of goop.

With the weather getting chilly and overnight temps just above freezing, it's time to clean up the garden and pull the wilting tomato and bean plants out for compost pickup tomorrow morning.

More document shredding on tap for this afternoon, as I continue getting rid of the last vestiges of my consulting company which I shuttered in 2019. Should have done this log ago as documents are only required to be retained for 2 years after dissolving a corporation in Canada.

Oct.18 Schick Xtreme3(4) ............ Eagle G2 ................. CBL Hombres ......................... Clubman milk

In addition to document shredding (only another 10 year's worth to go!), yesterday saw my wife and I take up all the tomato, beans, and broccoli plants for compost. *Whew* That was a lot more work that I thought!

Chess club saw me take on an informal role as a youth instructor, focusing on covering off the basics of the game. Starting with endgames, I will "certify" each of the kids (and teenagers and adults, if they are so inclined!) on each of the "simple" mates in order: Queen, 2 rooks, 1 rook, 2 bishops, and maybe even get one or two knowing B+N mates. Even many adults don't know that latter!

This morning saw up up and about pre-dawn to get the garbage and recycling out to the curb. A nice sweaty elliptical workout, followed by an even nicer shower'n'shave led me to a nice PBJ for lunch!

Oct.19 Schick Xtreme3(5) ............ Eagle G2 ................. CBL Hombres ......................... Clubman milk

It's Thursday! ... and you know what that means! A busy schedule with bridge club in the afternoon and chess club in the evening!

A mid-morning workout on the elliptical was followed by a much needed shower'n'shave. Five shaves in on the Schick cart and it seems like the lube/slime strip has fully dissolved, allowing me to shave without distraction. So far, so good!

Oct.20 Schick Xtreme3(6) ............ Eagle G2 ................. CBL Hombres ......................... Clubman milk

Bridge was fun yesterday. I was supposed to be helping two players out with additional instruction on Jacoby Transfers, but neither showed up, so I got 2 hours of playtime instead. Not bad at all. My chess game ended in a draw, putting me at an even 50% (+1 =1 -1, with 3 byes due to Covid) which is actually going to see me gain a few rating points as all my opponents were higher rated than I.

This morning's elliptical workout was good, as was the my normal routine afterwards.... i.e. shower, shave, more coffee.

We're heading out to meet our walking buddies at the mall for lunch soon, as the drizzly weather means that walking outside would not be much fun. Yes, even though 3/4 of us are fully retired and the last one partially retired, we're not at the mall-walker stage of life yet, so we'll just be sitting, eating, and talking.

Oct.21 Schick Xtreme3(7) ............ Eagle G2 ................. CBL Hombres ......................... Clubman milk

Yesterday was great at the mall with our buddies. We hooked up for lunch at 1pm and got up from our tables at 4:30. Lots to catch up on, so we did!

A nice workout while listening to podcasts this morning, followed by a welcome shower'n'shave. The cart is settling in nicely. I just wish these things weren't so expensive.

Back