The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trials of a woodpusher: Adventures in chess, backyard gardening, and maybe whisker chopping

65" for shaving videos!
That gets a thumbs-down from the TV owner 💃

The good news is that it is now wall mounted and wifey is happy with triple the square inches for her viewing pleasure. She says she might not fall asleep watching TV as much now. It's on a different wall than the other TV, which was smaller and over the fireplace. The new TV is no longer viewable from the kitchen. She says she doesn't mind but now I can't see the news while making coffee and work-lunch in the morning... Grrrrrrrr

Both of my games in the Canada-France friendly match were drawn relatively quickly (in terms of time, not moves). We followed major theory in a Botvinnik and a Sveshnikov through to move mid-30s, playing no new moves in one game and 2 new moves in the other.

I am happy with these results as he is near GrandMaster strength while I am just a woodpusher.

1577285948777.png

Nice playing Sam! I only ever learned the basics but I had a good time in high school playing an upper class friend by going pure chaos. Drove him nuts but we had fun.

My Facetime issues (i.e. not working at all) on my eyePhoney5 are now resolved. Ended up performing a full reset/wipe and restoring my contacts from da-Klowd.

Yaaayy!!! I can video-chat with my mom again!

We finished Christmas gifts and such today when my nephew came over. My wife got a Google Home Mini from her sister; I actually said "Please don't hook that up" when she opened it; it's hooked up *sigh* and I received an "upgrade" from my iPhone5 to a 7plus from her as well (she upgraded her phone) and now I don't know how to carry this oversized thingie when I go to work as it won't fit in the front pocket of my dress pants or jeans; I'll get in trouble from the wife if i don't use the new phone. 2x*sigh*

My wife thinks I'm ungrateful and, while I acknowledge that the gifts were well-intentioned, I don't like when others impose their lifestyle on us, especially when it comes to items which can affect home privacy and what I daily carry. Yeah, I'm a curmudgeon right now.

My wife has iPhone 6, won't give up the headphone jack! Hanging on to a phone for a few years can save a lot of money.
We finished Christmas gifts and such today when my nephew came over. My wife got a Google Home Mini from her sister; I actually said "Please don't hook that up" when she opened it; it's hooked up *sigh* and I received an "upgrade" from my iPhone5 to a 7plus from her as well (she upgraded her phone) and now I don't know how to carry this oversized thingie when I go to work as it won't fit in the front pocket of my dress pants or jeans; I'll get in trouble from the wife if i don't use the new phone. 2x*sigh*

My wife thinks I'm ungrateful and, while I acknowledge that the gifts were well-intentioned, I don't like when others impose their lifestyle on us, especially when it comes to items which can affect home privacy and what I daily carry. Yeah, I'm a curmudgeon right now.
My Brother is still using an iPhone 5s! I retrieved Wills SE (which will take the newest software and has an earphone jack) I switched the screens and put in a new battery. I’ll ship it up to him post haste. That setting that immediately blocks anyone not in your directory is awesome! If they leave a message and I want to talk to them I add them to the list. Call volume is down by 80% at least!

Happy New Year, everyone!!

The funny thing is, when I got up this morning and made coffee, it tasted the same as last year's, the weather was very similar (although lighter outside this morning than last night when I went to bed), and the news has the same stories. Sometimes change is good (Donkey), but sometimes, "steady as she goes" is also commendable.

Heading over to my brother's across town (just under 50 miles) for supper today as we didn't hook-up over Christmas, which gave me the morning "off." Well, not really off, as I crushed down a whole load of boxes from the closet in my office/chess/computer room. Still ended up with about 8 cubic feet of sliced cardboard. Yup, that was a LOT of boxes I was hoarding; no wonder the closet was full. 🤪

Chesswise, with today's correspondence rating publication (done quarterly), I have now officially crossed into the "2400 club," making me #6 in Canada. Putting it into perspective, I would be only #41 in the US; Chess goals for 2020 would be to gain my IM title and maybe get 1/2-way to the SIM title.

Outside of chess, not many goals except perhaps to whisper "retire retire retire" into my wife's ears while she sleeps :ROFLMAO: and to actually have my soap stockpile DECREASE this year (curse you, @CBLindsay !! :love:).

Yes, I meant to say the same Sam. Congrats, even though it all largely escapes me other than your working your way up rankings and at a quick clip. (y)

Holy Cow! You really are good at chess! As far as retirement goes...get better at chess! 🤪

Back